X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by Dakota Boy

A dashpot? what in the world is that?
    Originally posted by simplyconnected

As Kultulz suggested, you need a dashpot to prevent your torque converter from stalling the engine.
    Below are illustration(s) of the dashpot (not OEM but aftermarket)-

I need to find OEM photos-

Comment

• KULTULZ

Holley site says it is for Manual transmissions...
      Their description is incorrect. A STD trans car does not need one. Keep reading about the mounting brackets and it is described correctly there.

If you have an AT with either a high curb idle (cam choice) or HI-STALL converter, you may not need one.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected

Gary, you have an excellent handle on what's really happening. I just learned a few things about my linkage from you.

Thanks.
        Well, that is questioned here on a daily basis. Maybe I can get you to come over, pump a few MICHELOB LITES into you and you can let my old lady know I am worth something...

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

"If you have an AT with either a high curb idle (cam choice) or HI-STALL converter, you may not need one. "

Well... the curb idle is a bit higher due to the cam, but I was told the transmission has the stock converter yet. When the car is in gear at stoplights, it seems to really drag the engine down...more so than my daily drivers.
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• KULTULZ

Does the engine want to stall when you come to a traffic light (you let your foot off the accelerator and apply the brake pedal)?

Do you have to apply slight pressure to the fuel pedal to keep it from stalling?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

Perhaps I've avoided that stalling issue at the stoplights by having my idle turned up too far. Sometimes I get freaked out that it's going to quit on me, so I shift into neutral while I wait for the green light.

When the motor is cold, it sometimes stalls on me when I am backing out of the garage. Irritating.

I would not say it tries to stall when I am braking though.
              Last edited by Dakota Boy; May 31, 2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

C6 transmission: kickdown question

I moved this thread from Anything Goes because this is a good Squarebirds technical discourse on kick down adjustments.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

Perhaps I've avoided that stalling issue at the stoplights by having my idle turned up too far. Sometimes I get freaked out that it's going to quit on me, so I shift into neutral while I wait for the green light.

When the motor is cold, it sometimes stalls on me when I am backing out of the garage. Irritating.

I would not say it tries to stall when I am braking though.
                  If the cam will not allow idle at or around 600-650 RPM in gear, the dashpot issue is most likely mute in your case (as also evidenced by it's not wanting to stall on deceleration/coming to stop without your feathering the gas pedal).

If at idle with the brakes on, and it seems to stumble, it may be a rich fuel mixture and/or defective hanging choke.

If it wants to stall while cold, that is most likely due to the choke settings/fast idle.

Electric choke with no hot air off the exhaust manifold?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Well... the curb idle is a bit higher due to the cam, but I was told the transmission has the stock converter yet. When the car is in gear at stoplights, it seems to really drag the engine down...more so than my daily drivers.
                    Did you build the engine or was it this way when you got it? Do you have or did the builder give you the cam specs?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 30 2009

Engine was already together when I got the car. Seller cannot recall what cam is in there. He had an engine builder assemble everything for him.

Carb is a Holley 4160-series. List 3310-2. Manual choke. Vacuum secondary... I installed a quick-change kit on it. Stiffest spring is installed now, as the black spring was listed in the carb manual as the "stock" setting. Spark plugs look nice and clean. I rebuilt the carb just a few days ago. It operates a LOT better now.
                      One interesting thing was that I had to have the idle mixture screws turned almost closed to get the fastest idle (didnt have a vacuum gauge). I've worked on two-stroke carbs before, and when you have to have the air screw almost closed, it was indicative of a pilot jet that was oversized. In the case of this Holley carb though, I'm not sure if this means anything or not.
                      Accelerator pump nozzle is several sizes smaller than stock. Doesnt seem to be detrimental though.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 30 2009

Car ran great this evening. No worries about stalling while sitting at stoplights. Must be my lucky day or something.
                        A piano will probably fall on me tomorrow.

Still no kickdown, but the Holley part recommended by Kultulz should arrive tomorrow.

Squarebirds must be fairly rare, as people at the little car show this evening were all asking me "what IS that?"

Comment

• KULTULZ

One interesting thing was that I had to have the idle mixture screws turned almost closed to get the fastest idle (didnt have a vacuum gauge). I've worked on two-stroke carbs before, and when you have to have the air screw almost closed, it was indicative of a pilot jet that was oversized. In the case of this Holley carb though, I'm not sure if this means anything or not.
                          I forgot to respond to this-

Same theory applies...

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 30 2009

what would be the remedy for that?

Is there an equivalent to a "pilot jet" inside a Holley?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Is there an equivalent to a "pilot jet" inside a Holley?
                              Yes. It is referred to as an IDLE JET. It introduces air into the idle circuit. Depending on model, some are replaceable, others have to be modified.

HOLLEY offers several excellent manuals on repair, modification and theory.

Try this first because of your high idle-

Comment

• scumdog
                                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Make sure you carb spacer is not a source of vacuum leak, even my brand new one was not true, check the gaskets too..
                                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎