X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramos291
    Apprentice
    • Sep 18 2014

Idler Arm confusion MFG date 11/61

There seems to be a lot of slop/play in the idler arm. I replaced the bushing but the slop/play is still there. Enough play that my alignment shop is unable to do an alignment. What options are there to fix this slop? The bushing is new and suppose to be for the correct MFG date. The mechanic thought maybe the bracket shaft is worn. Replacement of the whole assembly is pricey and i have seen postings of using a 64's assembly. Is there some one that just has the bracket shaft assembly (mounts to the frame)?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

The same arm was used from '61-'63. Many of the vendors have this part but it isn't cheap:

Personally, I would remove the bottom parts and carefully inspect the shaft. Then I would consider a repair job instead of spending hundreds on a new one.

I don't know how you feel about 'originality' but you could probably switch to rack and pinion for about the same money. All the slop would be gone and the new system uses fewer joints because there is no counter-shaft. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ian M Greer
      Experienced
      • Jul 29 2010

I actual fact there was a difference between bushing diameters from 61/62 dating before 4/4/61 to 3/15/62 sized at 2 7/16 inches long by 5/8 I.D by 19/32 outside diameter. and the later from 3/15/62 which in the Bible is mentioned as ( Upper - 2.312 inches long by .76 ID. The very early 61 before 4/4/61 was a 2.6 inch long and by .63 I. D. bushing . Make sure you have the right bushing (if your going concours , you of co**** want the right one ) Many of the vendors will sell you a replacement design using the heavier made 64 idler arm and bushing set-up which they say is better as the originals were made too thin and weak . Ian

Comment

The idler arm bushing was worn out on my '62. Dec. '61 build date. I ordered the early bushing from Birdnest. It came in and I attempted to install it. The ID was too small to fit on the shaft. I ordered the later one with the larger ID and everything worked out perfect.
        Anybody need a '61-early 62 idler arm bushing?

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎