X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paul274854
    Apprentice
    • Mar 10 2011

Thread/Response lineup order

I belong to or read a number of car and other sites. Almost all the sites have the original posting first and then the replies.

This site is just the opposite and is, quite honestly, in my opinion, terrible. I prefer to read the original question first to see if it interests me. If it does, then I go through it. Just the title does not usually tell me if it is of interest to me. Having to scroll through all the replies can be a royal pain.

I think this should be changed.
    Midland Park, NJ
    56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Originally posted by paul274854
    I belong to or read a number of car and other sites. Almost all the sites have the original posting first and then the replies.

This site is just the opposite and is, quite honestly, in my opinion, terrible. I prefer to read the original question first to see if it interests me. If it does, then I go through it. Just the title does not usually tell me if it is of interest to me. Having to scroll through all the replies can be a royal pain.

I think this should be changed.
    Paul, I too am a member of other sites and what you say is, for the most part true. I have been a member of this site for 3 years and read this site everyday, several times a day...

In my opinion, this site is fantastic and much prefer it to any other site. I feel the core group of folks on this site and the frequent contributors are top notch genuinely open, honest and willing people. I am generally familiar with the subject matter of a post as I have most certainly read thru the first day it was posted, or shortly thereafter. If that post topic does not interest me, or no longer interests me, then I don't often times ever go back to it. Thusly I typically do not do a lot of scrolling thru past successive posts. If perhaps I might be curious as to what a particular member has offered as a comment to the post, I just mouse click on the little icon to the right of the member's name on the daily (current) post. That brings me right to his/her post and I don't have to scroll thru every thing else.

Obviously I think the Squarebirds.org should be left the same as it is and always has been. I have been a member for 3 years and have 400 some posts. Others have been members for much, much longer and they have literally thousands of posts. In my three years, I don't recall ever seeing this concern or request being offered or suggested before.

I guess it all depends what one is looking for in a forum's format. Prior to 2008 I spent the bulk of my time on another, but since I was introduced to this forum by Ray, I have concentrated my reading and reponses to Squarebirds.org.

This otta be an interesting dialogue with further member's responses. I can hardly wait!

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thread/Response lineup order

You know, Paul if you don't like the way the threads are displayed why don't you change it? After all YOU control the way many features of this Forum work..... Those are settings YOU could have selected when you became a member.... Click on User CP (User Control Panel) in the black border above.. That will open up your User information for you to modify. You will see all the things that YOU control... Including how you view this Forum... Go down to Edit Options. Click on it. Go down to Thread Display Options. In Visible Post Elements you will probably want to put a check in each box so you can see them, if they are not checked. Go to Thread Display Mode. If you want to see the first post in a thread instead of the last one, select Linear - Oldest First. That way, you will see the original post, followed by all the replies to it. I would leave the next two in the block set to User Default. Slide down to the bottom of that page and you will see where it says Save Changes... Click on it and when you go to a Forum (any Forum) you should be viewing the initial posts in a thread first and all the responses underneath it. If you see other things that you don't like and that can be changed in Edit, make your changes, but always remember to do a Save Changes or they will not take. I hope this helps you and anyone else who has a problem with this. Me, I prefer Liner - Newest First because I long ago read all the old posts on a thread. I read ALL threads on this Forum and ALL posts, as do our other Administrators and Moderators. It is YOUR choice as to how you look at this Forum...... So if you think our Forum looks "terrible" in the way it is displayed... Fix it or leave it as it is!..... It's YOUR choice....
      Last edited by YellowRose; March 15, 2011, 11:47 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by YellowRose
        ...... So if you think our Forum looks "terrible" in the way it is displayed... Fix it or leave it as it is!..... It's YOUR choice....
        Wow Ray! You taught me a bunch of stuff I never knew before. Way to go! That's great stuff.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

paul274854, Thanks for asking how to change your control panel settings.

As you can see, even our more senior members have benefitted from your post. Keep up the good work. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• paul274854
            Apprentice
            • Mar 10 2011

Yellowrose -thanks for the information. Now how do I put a picture of my TBird in each post as my avatar? I do not see how to use a custom one.
            Last edited by paul274854; March 16, 2011, 07:47 PM.
            Midland Park, NJ
            56 TBird, 54 Ford, 48 Ford,

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Paul274854, thanks for asking about your avatar. We have a "HELP DESK" and Coral is the forum administrator. Shoot her an email or post your 'how to..' question there. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎