X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackBird58
    Experienced
    • Mar 9 2005

HELP - Brake hose length

This morning I was installing new brake hoses on my '58 T-bird. I've got the old hoses off and got to install the new ones, and they're too short! The new hoses are 15" long, and won't reach from the wheel to the suspension mount with the car off the ground. The old hose is about 18" long. All the parts catalogs I've got list the hose as 15". Am I missing something here? I can't imagine that the hoses were designed without enough play to reach in full suspension drop.

HELP!!!

Mel

• JBird
    Experienced
    • May 22 2005

RE: HELP - Brake hose length

>This morning I was installing new brake hoses on my '58
    >T-bird. I've got the old hoses off and got to install the
    >new ones, and they're too short! The new hoses are 15"
    >long, and won't reach from the wheel to the suspension mount
    >with the car off the ground. The old hose is about 18"
    >long. All the parts catalogs I've got list the hose as 15".
    > Am I missing something here? I can't imagine that the
    >hoses were designed without enough play to reach in full
    >suspension drop.
    >
    >HELP!!!
    >
    >Mel

Mel I posted a couple links last July 16 for a pair on eBay. I just followed the links and the guy got no bid so you may want to email him and ask how long his are. I have some on a shelf and they are also 15 inches end-to-end. If 15 inches is all that's available you may need the original Ford NOS on eBay unless they were relisted and sold or that are too short.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Often I have bought power steering hoses and other lines and found them not to fit as desired.

NAPA can make up custom hydraulic hoses. Possibly they may be able to make a set for you.

These online sites may be able to help you:

Classic Tube brake, fuel and transmission lines are pre-bent to OEM specs or custom-made for your vehicle. Find the right tubing for your classic car today!

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• BlackBird58
        Experienced
        • Mar 9 2005

I just got back from AutoZone where I got a pair of 18" brake hoses - listed as being for the rear of the '58 Tbird. Earlier today when I was under the car, I held up a 15" hose to the rear line and it looks to be the proper size.

Interestingly, most of the online shops list 15" as being the proper length front and back, while AutoZone and Dennis Carpenter list the 18" hose for the rear.

My car is one of the ones where the front brake mounts were moved from in front of the suspension to the top rear of the upper arm. Maybe a 15" hose would have worked from the original position, but certainly not from current one. FYI, picture below shows the two mounting positions.

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
          Experienced
          • Mar 31 2004

From the picture you attached it appears that you have a early production 58. What is the vin number and date codes on the data plate. Probably asked before.
          The 2 types of hose configurations you have for the fronts I have not seen before. But Ford did a running change to a braket just rear of the upper A arm mounted to the frame. I will get pics off to you this weekend as they are on the computer I have at home.

I never trust the tbird houses or anyone else when it comes to hoses, and many other pieces. They make for all 3 years and don't really deal with each year seperatley.

I have NOS pieces at home but that's where they are and I am in Miss.

The bracket mounted to the A arm does not seem to me to be correct but will review info I have. Remember the 58 is different than 59 or 60. The front brakes had 2 rubber hoses per side the connected at the bracket.

Fuz
          58's&64's
          Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

• BlackBird58
            Experienced
            • Mar 9 2005

Well, so far so good... The brakes are working fine with the new hoses. It's pretty neat to have a car with a visible piece of factory updating.

Mel

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎