No announcement yet.

heater blower motor

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

heater blower motor

I've only got high range on my blower motor. I've noticed a red wire coming out of the firewall but can't see any place to attach it to the motor. What am I missing?? Also, I've read that there are three bolts on the bottom of the radiator that hold it in. I can't find them. Any suggestions??
    Thanks.
    Joe
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Do you have A/C? A/C cars used a one-wire blower motor, while the regular cars used two-wires.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Joe for the rad bolts,(they are actually self taping metal screws) you need to lay on your back and feel around the bottom side of the rad,the screws are horizontal and screw thru the lip on the rad bracket,from behind.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

George ( Colonel ) it sounds like you have had first hand experience on those rad bolts?? How is the golf game as I got in four (4) rounds in Coral Springs ( Ft. Lauderdale ) on holidays.We played Heron Bay and stayed at their hotel for about four (4) days.I especially enjoyed the new course only open two (2) years, called Plantation Preserve. The next time you are down that way check it out.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Thanks

George, thanks for the tip on the radiator, I'll go looking for them today.
          Alexander, my Bird doesn't have air. Could my blower motor be from an air car or did I miss something?
          Thanks
          Joe

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

This is the the heater motor diagram for both A/C and non-A/C cars. Maybe I am confusing you by not counting the ground wire.

Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

That helps, but....

Alexander.That really helps but I can't see any place for an additional wire to come out of the blower motor.All I've got is an orange wire and a ground wire. I was going to try and take the motor apart but thought I might be getting in over my head. Any suggestions?
              Thanks .
              Joe

Comment

radiator bolts

George,
                The only screws that I could find in the area you were talking about were bolts with a 1/2" head. They go into a U shaped channel that the radiator sits on. They seem to be attached to nuts that are tacked inside the U channel. The one I tried to loosen spins like the nut is no longer tacked in place. Am I in the right place??
                Thanks.
                Joe

Comment

Joe on my rad 60HT the rad sits in a frame.On the top the frame has a lip that is horizontal and has 3 self tapping screws,on the bottom it has a lip that is vertical and has 4 screws that come in from behind and the heads are only 5/16.Here are 2 pics.I think mine has been modified,don't think they even had self tappers in 60.You may have to cut the heads off the bolts and put new holes in the box channel.

Comment

Good Pictures

George, That really clears it up. I hope you didn't take the radiator out just to take pictures for me??!!!
                    Thanks a lot.
                    Joe

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

So my understanding is that you have an A/C blower in a non-AC car.

Originally posted by joe1946
                      Alexander.That really helps but I can't see any place for an additional wire to come out of the blower motor.All I've got is an orange wire and a ground wire. I was going to try and take the motor apart but thought I might be getting in over my head. Any suggestions?
                      Thanks .
                      Joe
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

You're right

That's what it looks like to me. How hard is it to find a blower motor for a non air car? Also how hard are radiators to come by, I'm afraid I'm going to need one of those fairly soon. While I'm asking questions, where do I look for the multi bladed fan(I can't remember if it was 7 or 9 blades) that work better than the original 4 bladed unit?
                        Thanks.
                        Joe

Comment

• Alexander
                          Webmaster
                          • Oct 30 2002

Blower motors for non-A/C cars are much easier to find than ones for A/C cars. Does your motor work?
                          Alexander
                          1959 Hard Top
                          1960 Golde Top
                          sigpic

Comment

working motor

The motor seems to work fine. I've really only used it once and I'm new to TBirds so I don't really know what to expect. High range doesn't blow hard but it does blow warm air.

Comment

• Alexander
                              Webmaster
                              • Oct 30 2002

These blower motors do not blow with the strength if modern motors.
                              Alexander
                              1959 Hard Top
                              1960 Golde Top
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍