X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mickfly70
    Apprentice
    • Oct 20 2010

Starter relay

Can someone please post a picture of their starter solenoid as I need to sort out this "Starting in any gear" problem. Also as you can see from my solenoid there are 2 green wires that go back to the dash to a button that actually engages the starter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mickfly70; June 9, 2012, 12:21 AM.
    Mick Egan Vancouver Island Canada
    60 Tbird
  • newyear
    Experienced
    • Jan 4 2005

Starter Relay

This is the relay in my car
    Regards
    Newyear
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mickfly70
      Apprentice
      • Oct 20 2010

Peter,

Can you confirm that the thick red wire on the right goes back to the +side of the battery? And the thick black on the left goes to the starter? Also where does that small dark brown wire go?
      60 Tbird

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's how it should look with the factory wiring. Looking at the picture the heavy wire on the left goes to the battery and the heavy wire on the right goes to the starter. There's a second heavy wire on the left post because I replaced the generator with an alternator.

John
        Attached Files
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• davidvend
          Apprentice
          • Aug 29 2009

Have you checked the switch on the steering column?

Comment

• davidvend
            Apprentice
            • Aug 29 2009

The safety switch on the steering column is allowing you to start in park or N if this switch is removed or jumpered your car will start in any gear

Comment

• Mickfly70
              Apprentice
              • Oct 20 2010

The switch on the steering column? Is that a switch that only lets it start in Park or Neutral?

Another problem just happened. THE KEY IS STUCK IN THE IGNITION. I can't believe my luck. You start one job and it creates another. It also started turn over. There is some weird wiring going on here. Anyone know how to get a key out?
              60 Tbird

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Starter relay

If you do not have a wiring diagram for your Tbird, take a look at the Technical Resource Library (TRL) and go down to the wiring diagrams. Print out the one for your Tbird and check your wiring. Who knows what might have been done to your wiring over the years. As for the Neutral Switch down at the bottom of the steering column, near where it mounts to the dash, if it has been messed with, it could allow the car to start in any position. Or it if it is not adjusted correctly. As to how to get your key out of the ignition, someone who has been down that road should be able to tell you how to do it. BTW, the link to the TRL is always part of my signature element...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Mickfly70
                  Apprentice
                  • Oct 20 2010

Thanks Ray. Found the diagrams. It might be a blessing in disguise. Looks like I might have to break the key off and change the ignition out with a universal one I have as a spare.

I'll keep you posted.
                  60 Tbird

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Mickfly70
                    ...THE KEY IS STUCK IN THE IGNITION. ...It also started turn over...
                    How is it stuck? Does the whole assembly turn with the key? Does the key turn to the off position? Was it forced when turned? We need a lot more details. I would NOT break the key off because you need it to change tumblers. This is covered in the Shop Manual.
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Mickfly70
                      Apprentice
                      • Oct 20 2010

Well the key was stuck in the "on" position. i.e. the first turn clockwise. It would turn to the further to the right (clockwise). It would not go to the vertical and pull out.

I started it up but the starter would engage when I past through Park and Neutral. I got it into the driveway and worked on it for the last 2 hours.

I had to break the key off to get the bezel off to free up the ignition to switch it over to the spare universal ignition I had.

Good news is I have got it back to how it works before but the bad news is it still requires a black push button to start it (as per before)

Must say the technical library is invaluable. Thanks Ray.

I still need to look a bit harder at the wiring diagrams because some of my wiring just doest "add up" Although is was after midnight when I finally quit.
                      60 Tbird

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

I'm glad to hear you got things working again. Did you take pictures of how the old switch was wired? Did it match the switch in the TRL? What is a 'universal' switch and what kind of connectors does it use?

From your description, the neutral switch works but it needs to be wired correctly. Correct the wiring on your starter solenoid and trash that start button because it's unsafe and unfused.
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• newyear
                          Experienced
                          • Jan 4 2005

Starter Relay

I have enclosed some more pictures of my relay and a picture of the relay that was fitted when I first got my Squarebird
                          The thickest red cable on the l/h terminal(looking from above) is connected to the starter and this is the only cable on this terminal
                          The thin brown cable is connected to the I terminal on the relay and appears to run through to the ignition switch
                          The thin blue and brown cable is connected to the S terminal on the relay
                          The thick black cable attached to r/h terminal on the relay connects to the positive terminal on the battery
                          The r/h terminal on the relay has a thick yellow wire attached which travels through the bulkhead(passenger side)
                          This r/h terminal also a thick red wire which connects to the generator and a thick red wire which appears to connect to a junction along with the blue and brown cable from the S terminal on the starter relay
                          I hope this helps
                          Regards
                          Peter
                          Attached Files

Comment

• newyear
                            Experienced
                            • Jan 4 2005

Starter Relay

This schematic is from Group 7-18 of the 1958 Ford Thunderbird shop manual
                            Regards
                            Peter
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Mickfly70
                              Apprentice
                              • Oct 20 2010

Here are some photos from last night. This is the old ignition. Thanks god for iPhones with good cameras as they take good photos for reassembly!

1st Photo: ACC.
                              There was a small black wire that I think goes to the Radio.
                              Newer Black/Blue with fuse goes to A/C
                              Not sure where the bottom 3 go but one is GEN light cause that works. Fuel indicator works.

2nd Photo: IGN.
                              There was a Pink wire I had to remove to get it out. This was on top of Black/green. This seems correct.

3rd Photo: BAT.
                              This Yellow/Green. Have found end yet.

4th Photo: S.
                              Red goes to safety switch on coloum then goes Red/blue to starter relay switch. This one is the one I'm going to check now to continuity.
                              Attached Files
                              60 Tbird

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎