X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jay's '59 Restoration Work

Jay sent me additional information on his '59 Tbird and here it is with his permission.

"I am 60 and do 90% of my own work. I have owned about 6 old cars and restored and sold them. I decided to keep one hardtop and one convertible. The Convertible is my 69 Chevy Impala. I have owned an Edsel along with two Retractable's and a 67 Galaxie.

I was looking for a Ford Hardtop. I did also own a 66 Tbird but the thing guzzled gas like there was no tomorrow. I wanted a 59 Ford as IMHO that's when Styling peaked for all 3 car companies, and that was the last year of that fabulous decade. I looked at 59 Galaxies but they were too far gone or too expensive. I began to hunt for a 59 Tbird. I wanted a white car with a blue, turquoise, or black interior. I came across a 59 Hardtop down in Georgia. It was owned by a minister who lost interest and needed funds to keep his parish open. It was white and black/white inside. I had someone down there "inspect" it for me. The "inspector" LOL, gave it the thumbs up and we settled on a price based on what was told to me by the "inspector." He said it ran and drove "beautifully".

I had it trucked in a closed carrier to Boston. The carrier opened his door and my heart sank. There was puddle of power steering on the floor of the carrier. The brake pedal went right to the floor. It cranked but would not fire up. (fuel gauge was pegged on E). The trucker and I rolled it into my garage.

I GOT RIGHT TO WORK. I poured some fuel in the tank and down the throat of the carb. Car started finally, but was dumping P/S fluid onto my floor. Bad hose from the Control valve. I took the belt off the pump and restarted. I was encouraged to see ALL WHITE SMOKE. The Master Cylinder was shot. I bought a new one and bled the system. I had brakes but the car would not stop unless I stood on the pedal. I bought a P/S hose and filled the reservoir, NOW we had P/S. I found a set of NOS genuine ASBESTOS brake shoes. I did the shoes and bought new drums, changed over the hubs, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The car NOW stopped like a modern vehicle.

LONG LIVE ASBESTOS SHOES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

After that I gave it a complete tune up. The points were fried, and the D.Cap was worn. Still it did not run well. I bit the bullet and purchased a NEW HOLLY Carb with electric choke. When I bolted this on and set the mixture, this thing drove like a rocket ship. It idled very smoothly. SUCCESS. (For $325)

The Tranny was rebuilt at some point but I made a complete exchange of the TYPE "F" fluid. I drained the rear end and filled with fresh 80-90.

Since then I've done a heater core, P/S Pump and Control valve...(leaking) Timing Chain and gears. and a new water pump. The exhaust was leaking. (nothing new on an old Ford). I bought 3 used manifolds, all leaked or were cracked. I purchased two of the new reproductions and was able to remove the old ones and bolt on the repros. I had the clock ("quartzed ") radio repaired, new fuel tank sender.

The only thing that drove me batty was the speedometer. I removed the head and spun it with a drill..worked fine. Raised the car and hit the gas and no movement in the cable. I removed the housing from the Trans and found a broken gear. I bought a new gear bolted it up and still no speedo. I called Northwest Transmission. He told me to send him the old gear and would replicate it for $65. He did and I again bolted it in and WALAAAH speedometer.

Car was fully undercoated. The only rust in the car was the battery tray.

All in all, I found around 15 things that needed attention. The "inspector" found a couple.

One thing you must do with these squarebirds is remove the hood. When you do that everything is accessible.

My goal is my body shop around April 1st. I am currently detailing out the engine bay.

I am trying out a new theory. Ordinarily I detail last, however, when I have done the engine after bodywork, I end up scratching and scuffing the tops of the fenders and hood and cowl. It is unavoidable. This time I hope to keep it nice on top.

I have been getting all of my parts from Wilsons in NJ. Pat and Doug Wilson have always treated me well. Fair prices, same day shipping and tech help.

Will send more photos shortly.
    Last edited by YellowRose; February 18, 2014, 11:21 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Um… yeah…

I know the feeling when a car shows up and it needs more repairs than originally expected….

I believe that is pretty much the way it works when buying a car over the internet these days.

Sounds like you have it all under control. I doubt you will find a better information source for your 'square than this one.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

You have to wonder if the guy that was paid to look it over got paid twice, once by the potential buyer to look it over and once by the seller to not look it over

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎