X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Nicolas '59 Raven Black Tbird

Nicolas, in France, has received his '59 Raven Black Squarebird! He sent me some pix to show her to ya'll. She looks to be in pretty good condition over all. He pretty well knows what she needs as you can see in the interior. He says she runs and he will start checking her out more thoroughly as soon as he can. Here are the pix!
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Nicolas great to see that your classic is now in your possession and the restoration begins Good Stuff.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Nicolas
      Apprentice
      • Apr 22 2014

Thanks Ray for posting my pics. I will keep you informed as I move forward in my restoration.
      I got what I expected. Some welding and patches required mainly on the right side. Engine is running fine but I just drove her into my garage as there was NO brakes at all. I will start my process but first step is good organisation and preparation. I don't have much space in my garage so everything needs to be in the right place.

I will start by marking all the wires in the engine compartment before I take away the interior. I will take the front seats to my upholstery guy. I have purchased new seat covers from Macs Antique.

I want to access the floors and refresh or repair the floors.

I will then start the major part of my restoration, changing the rails.

i will do my best to share as much info as possible but you know how it is !!! Kids, wife, job !!! Not much time left so I have to deal with it !!!

Nick
      Last edited by Nicolas; February 24, 2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Nicolas
        Apprentice
        • Apr 22 2014

But ....

Such a good feeling when you finally get you car in the garage, you open the boxes of all the parts and antiques you bought months ago. Some you don't even remember.

I love that thrill.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Nick, glad to be of help! When you start working on things, post away and post any pix of the areas you are working on, in the technical Forum for '58-'60 Squarebirds. Good luck with her!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Nicolas
            Apprentice
            • Apr 22 2014

I took the interior off. Carpeting and seats and started my investigation. As expected, poor quality repairs were already done and rust has found its way again through the rails, inner rocker etc... Never seen a glued patch before but there's a first time for everything I guess. After turning the problem upside down, there's no other way but to do it right if I want to have a straight car.
            So I started cutting. I will buy some metal sheet tomorrow and first repair the floors. I will also get a 2 x 4 steel tubing to give more strength to my repair. I'll be blocked at some point as my rocker panels are still in the US, leaving on a ship on the 5th of March. But I want to do everything I can before that. She will go on jack stands this week to give better access. God that car is sitting low !!!
            Once blocked by my parts delivery, I will start the complete rebuild of the braking system.
            Meanwhile, sanding the filter and the valve covers at work for painting (matching colors !), cleaning the engine compartment, Edelbrock 1406 installation, flushing of all fluids, well still a lot to do !!
            Will take some pics this week end.
            Nick

Comment

• Nicolas
              Apprentice
              • Apr 22 2014

Some progress !!! I have finished the floor patches on the drivers side. I have started the complete rebuild of the brakes.

Straight out of the box 1406 Edelbrock installed ! Check !

I have sanded (and yes, I need to blow again the air cleaner !!!) and painted the air cleaner, valve covers and replaced the ignition wiring. I know the ignition wiring is not period correct, but I dig the style ! Straight Rajah ! Check !

I have replaced the starter solenoid, the regulator, the ignition coil. I have restored the cooling fluid container. I will finish the brakes next week end and then, I can turn the car... cause my garage is too small !!! So I do one side at a time.

I have also replace the window rollers and my window are moving up and down smoothly... Check !

My best buddy passed by and was impressed with the progress ! Looking good for this summer !

Keep you posted.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

Your car should be a real eye catcher in France. Glad to see the work is progressing.
                Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Nick, you are making great progress and it is looking good!

Comment

• Nicolas
                    Apprentice
                    • Apr 22 2014

Originally posted by YellowRose
                    Nick, you are making great progress and it is looking good!
                    Thank you guys. Can't wait to go in my garage again !

What do you think about the ignition wiring ? You like it or not ?

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I like the wires, however I would be concerned about not having any rubber boots around the plugs.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Nicolas
                        Apprentice
                        • Apr 22 2014

Some progress. I have repaired the trunk area. Cutting, patching, welding. Black paint in the trunk (inside and under).
                        I have prepared also the gas tank. Ready to go back in.
                        My parts will arrive on the 10th of April and I will then be able to finish the rocker panel and the floors. That will be a good step forward.
                        I have started to prepare the hood which needs a complete paint. I'm almost ready for primer.
                        I spent some time also in the evening working on the upholstery. First time in my life ! But the most courageous is the beginner !
                        The result is ok for me. Not perfect but I'm happy with that.

Next step, mount back the gas tank and finish the preparation of the hood and primer, ready for paint.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Nick! I see you are making great progress! Congratulations! When you go to mount the tank you should run a good, sturdy ground wire from the flange of the tank to the car body. That should insure that you have a very good ground. The gas tank should have that flange all around it. That makes a good area to drill into without accidentally drilling into the tank itself. Then you can attach a sturdy wire to that flange, and find a good place to run the ground wire to on the frame. Clean that area really good so that you get a good metal to metal ground connection. Connect that wire and that should do it!

Comment

• Nicolas
                            Apprentice
                            • Apr 22 2014

Originally posted by YellowRose
                            Hi Nick! I see you are making great progress! Congratulations! When you go to mount the tank you should run a good, sturdy ground wire from the flange of the tank to the car body. That should insure that you have a very good ground. The gas tank should have that flange all around it. That makes a good area to drill into without accidentally drilling into the tank itself. Then you can attach a sturdy wire to that flange, and find a good place to run the ground wire to on the frame. Clean that area really good so that you get a good metal to metal ground connection. Connect that wire and that should do it!
                            Thanks for the comment ! I didn't know about that but it makes sense. I'll do it !

Comment

• Tbird1044
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jul 31 2012

Nick:
                              There is also cork/rubber type material that should go on top of the tank as a spacer pad between the tank and bottom of the trunk. My radiator shop had the material and gave me a couple of strips.
                              Nyles

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎