No announcement yet.

heater/defroster blower motor problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

heater/defroster blower motor problem

I just bought a blower motor on EBay. It bench tests good. The only problem is there is a 1/2" of in/out play on the shaft. When installed in the car, on high it makes a nasty racket. On low it seems fine. Is there any adjustment to this or is the unit less than perfect?
    Thanks.
    Joe
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

Hi group.

I'm the culprit who sold this heater motor.

I had an extra laying around and bench tested it by connecting the leads (it's a 2-speed) to battery terminals. It ran strong on low and high speeds. Thought it was a good candidate for transplant - I wasn't aware it had in-out play on the shaft...I just didn't spend a lot of time with it.
    I hope someone has a suggestion for Joe since I feel bad fo selling him a motor that doesn't work as it should...

Joe - let me know if you come up with a solution and we'll work something out. Even though sometimes it is inevitable, nothing is worse than getting a part that doesn't work as it should!
    Casey

Comment

Casey, Thanks. I just wanted you to know I'm not pointing fingers. I do feel you dealt in good faith. Now if someone can come up with a good solution, I'll be able to sell my old blower motor for an air conditioned car.
      Joe

Comment

You could take it apart and put spacers in there but it is going to go one day

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
          Experienced
          • Mar 31 2004

Take it to an electric motor repair house in your area. More than likely the bearings are caput and need replacing. Easy job for those that do it all the time.

Fuz
          58's&64's
          Sun Prairie, Wi.
          tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

I was able to get the fan off the shaft. Part of the problem is the shaft is bent. I was able to file down some burrs on the shaft and move the fan in closer to the motor so there was no play but it does make noise during a bench test on both high and low speeds especially when winding up and down. I'll see if I can find an electrical motor repair place near me. It might be rough in Down East Maine.
            Thanks.
            Joe
            Last edited by Guest; June 8, 2008, 03:10 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎