X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gold Bird
    Experienced
    • Nov 9 2007

Pertronix install, works great

Just some fyi, installed the Pertronix unit this week, easy install and works great! Replaced the coil too with one from Pertronix, seems to really like the extra boost. Now just turn the key and presto, starts right away. My Dad won't believe it when he comes in June. Engine seems to idle better, and just perform better all around. My engine builder is old school, he likes points/condensers because if they fail on the road you can replace them and get on your way, can't do that with electronic, unless of course you have another module. Anyway, I would give it thumbs up for sure!
    sigpic1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by Gold Bird

My engine builder is old school, he likes points/condensers because if they fail on the road you can replace them and get on your way, can't do that with electronic, unless of course you have another module. Anyway, I would give it thumbs up for sure!
    Just carry the points/condenser with you. They will directly replace the PERTRONIX.

A hot ignition makes a big difference.

Comment

• Gold Bird
      Experienced
      • Nov 9 2007

That's exactly what my friend told me to do! New technology is great, when it works.....

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Make sure you run straight 12V to it (B/pass the res/wire)

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by byersmtrco
          Make sure you run straight 12V to it (B/pass the res/wire)
          Yep, after an issue with spark-plugs fouling I found out that it needed 12 volts, not the 7 volts or so the res/wire was giving it.
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Correct!

Full BAT VOLT to the module and resistor VOLT to the coil unless one installs an aftermarket 12V coil.

What is really nice about this system and classic cars is that one can hide the installation and no one is the wiser.

An ALT conversion will make it even hotter.

Comment

• Gold Bird
              Experienced
              • Nov 9 2007

When we tested the voltage at the coil I was expecting it to be less, but turned out to be battery voltage. Some time over the years the original wire must have been changed to full 12V.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎