X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Sun Ray Blues

My front Sun Ray wheel covers keep falling off during operation. I've read everything from adjusting the tabs, to painting the wheels, to sealing the covers on with RTV-if you can believe that. I'm certain I install these correctly.

It seems some fit better than others as I've replaced the driver's front with a recent purchase. The obvious problems tell me I can't keep hoping to find the ones falling off- I'm 2 for 3- and can't keep up with the demand for trial and error.

Are the Sun Rays just problematic? Beside replacing all wheels with some non-stock aluminum wheel, are the '58s better fitting? 57's?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I haven't found the sun-rays any worse than other Ford hubcaps of the period. Sometimes the metal gets fatigued and cracks where the tabs meet the outer cap and they will never stay on. I've found that if they go on easy they will fall off. Usually I have to bend the tabs to the point where I have to whack them pretty hard with a rubber mallet to go on. Then they will stay on.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Thanks John. I bent the tabs so it was very difficult to put on the wheel, but only a change of wheel cover worked on the driver's front, so far. The funny thing is there's no warning as these are properly seated before I leave the house. Only 2 of the original 4 that came with the car remain. I spent plenty of time sanding, polishing and painting these stainless steel wonders just to go on a safari in someone's yard or around freeway ramps.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I usually notice that they start to turn on the rim before they come off. I've actually had some where the valve stem gets bent underneath the cap. As you said the fronts are more susceptible to falling off than the rears. I've used both original rims and newer rims and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems that once the tabs get bent a few times they lose their strength.

John

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

John, would you then conclude if the wheel cover comes off, it's not worthy anymore anyhow? By virtue of the fact these aren't strong enough to function, we should consider these garage wall art.

I'd hate to purchase a $130.00 new Sun-Ray and have it become a sailor.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Before I wrote it off I would swap it with one of the rear caps since the fronts seem to fall off more frequently. The sun ray covers are pretty common at auto swap meets. I usually find quite a few for under $10.

John

Comment

• DKheld
              Super-Experienced
              • Aug 27 2008

X2 with John - mine would "walk" around the wheel before coming off. Lost 1 of my originals that way. I found that if you bend the edges of the tabs a little extra for it to bite into the steel wheel they stay on better. Since bending mine that way I haven't lost one lately and they no longer walk around the wheel.

Eric

Comment

• Deanj
                Super-Experienced
                • Nov 26 2015

I lost another Sun Ray wheel cover even though I tightened every tab. They seem to work their way out. I suppose the solution is re-pound with mallet every two weeks or develop a Sun Ray look alike aluminum wheel for $250 each. How about it Mac's?

Dean

Comment

• Tbird1044
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 31 2012

A friend of mine has a 64 Ford Country Squire and he couldn't keep the wheel covers on, no matter what he tried. After a while, I realized he started having the problem after he put radial tires on the car. After some Google searches, I found articles that said the "older" rims flex a lot more with a radial tire, and this becomes a problem with keeping wheel covers attached. If you do a little search on the net you will find related articles. Just thought I would pass this along.
                  Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Nov 26 2015

Thanks Nyles. I saw Mac's saying the same as you while selling their new steel wheels for a premium. Radials flex the old steel wheels. Some of mine walk around the wheel, also.

The solution is new steel wheels, aluminum wheels, or maintain these every week-which is reasonable unless I want to keep buying spares. I just put my last spare on.

I considered buying 15 inch aluminum wheels when these tires are ready for replacement in 2027.

Dean

Comment

• bird 60
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Mar 18 2009

When I had my Bullet Bird with the standard rims, I didn't lose any but they were moving and cutting into the tire valve. What I did was with a center punch, punched a few indentations just in from the rim, & from memory it did the trick. Others also put a couple of tack welds.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• tbird430
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jun 18 2007

Bend the tabs or "teeth" as I call them, back out some. Also try using a file on the points. This will help to give them a better "bite" inside the steel wheel.

-Jon in TX.
                        sigpic
                        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Deanj
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Nov 26 2015

I tried all the tricks and it works to a point. Now I use a rubber mallet every week to make sure these are tight.

Dean

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎