X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yellowbird
    Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Dave,
    Do you know what the theory was between using the mechanical (cable) and the mechanical vacuum type control?
    sigpic

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Vacuum Line Routing

I have just posted the article and pictures by Eric Taylor~DKheld in the Technical Resource Library (TRL). It is right above the Suspension section. Thank you very much for this addition, Eric. It should help many people in the future. As always, the link to the TRL is right below my signature element.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Yellowbird
        Dave,
        Do you know what the theory was between using the mechanical (cable) and the mechanical vacuum type control?
        Product Engineering and Product Development are two departments that try to employ better parts and more modern methods. Sometimes they revert back to 'tried and proven' traditional methods because of troubles. Coil Springs on the '58 Squarebird comes to mind.

The trend was to use more vacuum to do non-critical work. We have seen Thunderbirds with extensive vacuum systems (like remote trunk release), then Ford backed off or used more electrical devices.

The Lincoln Versailles (and other cars) had air bag suspension. Well? Where is it now? Squarebirds were supposed to get 'air' as well. Maybe it's a good thing they didn't.

Leonard, your system IS the more modern method. Instead of putting the vacuum valve in the heater core, now it's normally in the engine compartment, but still vacuum operated. Does it matter? No. From the Company's view, 'which is cheaper?' Under the hood (with a dashboard vacuum switch instead of cables). I like the reliability of mechanical cables. They rarely ever go bad. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yellowbird
          Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Thanks for the information. It would make sense from a repair standpoint to move the valve outside to the engine compartment for ease of access.
          I have an may still have vehicles that had the vacuum operated "doors" for the a/c - heating system and what trouble they can be from time to time.
          Either the cable works or it does not........

Thanks
          sigpic

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Doors are a little different, Len. Those vacuum motors are two-stage (double diaphragm), or open-close (single diaphragm).

In other words, the door can open half way or all the way with a double. This is a big savings over the electrical alternative. An example of this is the 'Floor/Panel' air door.

Single diaphragm door vacuum motors are simply open or close, like heat/cool vac motors.

I guess using a cable to do the same thing was out of vogue or Ford was trying to keep up with the Joneses. I see nothing wrong with the way our heater controls work with NO vacuum lines. Modern Door flap/seal material got better, though... I re-leathered the vent doors for my '55. They bring fresh air in from the front grille. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎