X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpetska
    Apprentice
    • Feb 15 2013

headliner install

I am working on replacing the headliner in my 60. I just can't seem to get it tight enough between the back window and the quarter window. The rest of it is tight. Just how much will it shrink if I steam it?
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • sidewalkman
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by bpetska
    I am working on replacing the headliner in my 60. I just can't seem to get it tight enough between the back window and the quarter window. The rest of it is tight. Just how much will it shrink if I steam it?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    I thought that was adjusted with staples to a strip at the bottom of the pillar, regardless and this isn't on a Bird but a comet I did the headliner on, when I steamed it it shrunk a bit, got rid of the wrinkles, but it was pretty tight to start with so.....
    Scott
    South Delta, BC, Canada
    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
    Red Leather Interior!
    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
    Thunderbird Registry #61266
    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

Hi Bill, if steaming doesn't do the trick, & seeing that youv'e done most of the work, take it to an upholsterer to finish it off. Sometimes we have to bite the bullet & let the pros take over.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• c4clewis
        Experienced
        • Aug 18 2010

I take it you have not installed the trim yet?

You DO NOT want it too tight before you install the trim. The window trim clamps the headliner around the flanges that it attaches to and significantly tightens it up... to the point that if you have it too tight, you WILL tear the headliner putting on the trim. I bet you can figure out how I know this.

I forget the exact wording from the shop manual, but it is something to the tune of ensuring the major wrinkles are out before installing the trim. I'm a couple thousand miles from my manual right now, but take a look.

Any remaining "small" wrinkles can be smoothed with a hair dryer. I wouldn't recommend a heat gun as you don't need that much heat and don't want to pucker or burn the vinyl. Just don't tell the wife you are using hers and return it before she notices!

Comment

• Ratboy
          Experienced
          • Jan 10 2019

This is an old thread but I just stapled up my 60HT headliner. A couple questions- put it in the sun before installing so it can stretch out but use a blow dryer to shrink it? A little heat does both? It's stapled but no trim yet, should I trim before I "shrink" it. it's still a little baggy but putting in the courtesy light will take up some of it.. Got a $25 pneumatic stapler at H Freight 1/4" staples, worked great

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎