No announcement yet.

Engine casting number

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine casting number

I have found the casting number on the passenger front side of the engine in my 60 Thunderbird hard top but it does not match any of the earlier posts for the 58,59,or 60 models.My number is C1AE6015C , with the 6 possibly being an 8. Above this number is 1E25:3 .Can anyone please decode this for me? Thanks Monty and tarp3 for the earlier help. Randy
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Engine casting number

C1 denotes that this engine was made in 1961. It may be a 390. I will look up the number when I get home from vacation next week to see what you have.

Don't worry about authenticity. All FE engines look pretty much alike. You can easily make it look like the origianl 352.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you Alexander.That is a relief to think that it is a 390.I was concerned that it might have been a lower horsepower 352 replacement from the mid 60's.I think the horsepower for the 390 was 335 in 1961.

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

My '64 Galaxie 390 has 300 horsepower - just like my '60 TBird 352.
        Although my 352 has been bored out to essentially be a 390 with about 330 horsespower.

Casey
        '60 hardtop
        Casey

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

I looked in up in Steve Christ's book. C1AE-C is a 390cid/4.05 inch bore passenger car or light duty truck engine with hydraulic lifters.

6010 is the basic part number for all finished engine blocks.

If you post casting numbers of the heads, I can identify them also.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks very much Alexander.I will look for the head casting number and post it.That number should be under the valve covers I guess? Randy

Comment

• 1960Bird
              Experienced
              • Dec 4 2002

Could your "6" be a "G" if so Steve Christ's book would list it as either a 61 or 62 352cu" or a 61 or 62 390cu"...gets confusing. I don't know if this book is 100% accurate. I think that the best place to get this sort information is from a forum that really knows FE engines. Try http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/74182

Steve
              60HT
              Cedar Rapids, Iowa
              390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

I think most of the members of that FE forum have moved to their new home at http://fomoco.com/ford-forum-FE .

I know that some on the FE forum have called into question the accuracy of some of the casting information in Steve Christ's book. There is a newer edition of the "How to Rebuild your Big Block Ford Engine" which I do not have. I wonder if some of the casting information is revised. I think some of the information has been called into question because some known original engines did not match Steve Christ's listed numbers. I do not think that Ford has released any printed information on their casting numbers.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 4 2002

I have an old one also, copyright 1983 I can not even find my block number in it and I know that it is a 1961 390. As to the FE Forum there are still plenty of folks on the Network 54 Forum.

Steve

1960 HT
                  Cedar Rapids, Iowa
                  390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎