• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickauf
    Apprentice
    • Sep 9 2006

Better braking dual cylinder options?

Hi all,

Had my "new" 59 convert out today. what a great car to drive. I love it.

I am new to the Thunderbirds, having "seen the light" and selling my mustang to procure this bird.

My brakes seem weak. I realize this is a 4 drum system from 1959 so it will not brake like a new BMW.

However, i am wondering a few things.
    1. for saftey, is there a dual cylinder "kit" out there?
    (i have power brakes) if anyone could lead me towards a source i would greatly appreciate it. MPB, inc, etc???

2. My shoes, drums, are all in spec. are there any upgrades? is a front disc conversion available, or is it a major swap??

3. also, my little metal strip on the brake pedal (the power brake insignia) is half torn off, where can i get a new one, or pedal?

thanks

rick
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Better braking dual cylinder options?

There is an article on the main site in the technical section that shows a disc brake conversion, but I will defer to more knowledgeable people here who have done this help you out on this.

It is interesting that you have the power brake pedal with the metal strip that outlines "Swift-Sure." The 1958's had this, but the 1959's were plain rubber that just said "Power Brake." Is yours an early production 1959? In any case both style brake pedals are available in reproduction. The plain rubber one is easier to get.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

Where you have to be carefull with a dual cyl is that 58-60 TBirds did NOT have a proportioning valve. Dual cylinders were meant to work with one. In the case of mine it would try to stop with the rear brakes only. Very Scary !!! I have since added front discs. Now it stops like a normal car. (Not like a BMW) but pretty good.

There are several options as far as disc brake "kits" Do your homework !!!! Make sure what ever route you go, the calipers are facing the rear of the car. That way they won't interfere with any other susp components (sway bar links, etc)
      The Granada kit is fine. For a couple hundred bucks at the local bone-yard or Pick n' Pull you can have almost everything. Make sure you get the parts off of a Granada with 11" rotors. Most V8 equipped cars had 11's. The 10's are just not enough beaking power for a big ol Squarebird. Maybe a mid 60's Mustang (1000 lb's lighter)

You may also want to consider the heavy duty swaybars front & rear. I have em. It handles waaaaay better !! Again, not a BMW, but it's not a tuna boat any more.

John

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Swar BAR links (NOT Bat links) Ooops !!!

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

Fixed it for you.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
            Experienced
            • Oct 23 2005

My '59 also has the swift-sure brake pedal. It is an early production model, november of 1st year (which I assume means november of 1958).

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

I think I've seen that in a 59 also. And it was rather worn. Looked like it had been there for awhile.

I did just replace my "Power Brake" rubber pad with a reprod from TBHQ. It is a tad wider (or the brkt is slightly offset) The brake pedal seems closer to the Accl/pedal now. Darn . . . Now I don't have room for that Chrome Foot Gas pedal (remember those?) that I've always wanted to put in that car.

Ok ok, I'm kidding !!!!!!!!

Comment

• FeFranco
                Experienced
                • Jan 13 2007

I purchased the disc brake conversion from DC Enterprise (Drop N Stop). It was a VERY easy conversion. I also upgraded to a new dual master cylinder and booster. BTW, someone mention 'rear' sway bar? where can I find that for my '60.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

Thunderbirds Southwest in Texas. Talk to Lance. They have a website.
                  Larry's TB has em too. I just hate dealing with Larry's. Takes about 2 wks to ship anything, no comunication, blah blah blah.
                  That rear sway bar really works (with the HD frt one in place)

Comment

Do you have any additional information or photos pertaining to your brake conversion?

Comment

• rickauf
                      Apprentice
                      • Sep 9 2006

So,

if i talk to Lance at Tbird SW, do they have a complete set up kit (dual mastercylinder, proportioning valve, front end stuff, etc), or do i have to piece it together and find a grenada front end?

does anyone know of any shop in the midatlantic region that does this work.. i don't mind to travel to someone who has done it and knows how to do it.
                      I think this conversion might be out of my league.

will the dual master cylinder fit on my stock booster, or do i need a whole new set up? where do i get that? any fabrication needed for the connection to the pedal?

and not to convolute things, but where do i get the front swaybar?

Comment

• tbirdave
                        Apprentice
                        • Jun 12 2006

I had my brakes converted about 3 years ago, it was the best thing that I ever did to my daily driver 58. It has a dual mastercylinder with no proportioning valve. This fall one of my brake lines burst while on the freway. Thank God the left lane was empty for me to switch lanes and not hit the car in front of me. I also thank God that I had the dual master because I had rear brakes. If I had had the original single cylinder I would have had no brakes at all!!! I got my conversion kit from Larry's T-Bird. I know that they got it from someone else but I don't know who. Brandon at Larry's was the one who helped me. I had a buddy of mine who is a mechanic put them on and he said that it was pretty easy, so if your a gearhead you should be able to do it. You will need to have larger rims than the originals becuse they won't clear the calipers. I put Mustang rims on my car, 14's so I could use my original wheel covers and put on wide white Coker's. My buddy said that he thinks that the conversion unit was from a Mustang or other 60's type Ford. The calipers are GM. Good luck. tbirdave

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

My kit came from Stainless Steel Brake Corp. I had some problems. I found out about Lance after the fact. He can piece the whole kit together for you. And YES ABSOLUTELY run a prop valve. It not only displaces the fluid properly, if a hose or line should fail, you will only lose the brakes to the one wheel (personal experience 72 El Camino)

Lance knows his stuff. He's not just a Parts Supplier. They do the work there too. I'm sure there are other TB suppliers out there, but he impressed me with just how he rattled off everthing I needed. No guessing, no "let me get back to you". Had all my little problems dialed in with one ph call.

Good guy. Reasonable too.
                          Good luck !!!

Comment

Or you could go with Wilwoods up front with a GM dual master cynl and a prop valve which is what I did. But I don't think you can run any rims smaller that 16" on it the way I went.

I do have some photos of what I did at

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎