Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Where did you find the self adjuster kits and how much were they? I've seen the spring kits, but nothing for the self adjusters.
    Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

They are not listed for 58-60 Thunderbirds since they were not available. If you check under 1961 Thunderbird you will find them. The part numbers are Wagner H2512, H2513 and Raybestos H2544 and H2545. Napa also has them under their own part number. Most auto stores will have them or can get them. You can also get them from Rock Auto. They run between $6 and $10 dollars each. You need two of each side. You also need four of the self adjuster springs; Wagner H412. They come in pairs. They don't come in the kit.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• V-John
        Experienced
        • Mar 22 2013

I've been following this thread while doing my brakes. What a big help!

I've got the rear done and have started on the front left. After scraping off 50+ years of dirt and grease (about a pound of it) off the spindle, fender, and A-arms, I'm ready to paint and then rebuild. When I took the brake backing plate off, the remnant of the gasket that went between the spindle and plate fell apart/tore. I haven't found replacement gaskets anywhere online or at auto parts stores, but was wondering if anyone knows where to find them?
        1959 Thunderbird - Thunderbird Registry #46052

Comment

• Joe Johnston
          Super-Experienced
          • Dec 23 2008

Can't answer your question, BUT...........while you have the backing plates off check the spots where the shoes rub and fill any grooves with weld and grind smooth or if there are small ridges grind them smooth. These areas need to be smooth for the shoes to float and now is the time for you to inspect and fix if needed.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by V-John
            When I took the brake backing plate off, the remnant of the gasket that went between the spindle and plate fell apart/tore. I haven't found replacement gaskets anywhere online or at auto parts stores, but was wondering if anyone knows where to find them?
            Just buy some gasket material and make your own. They're nothing special.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• V-John
              Experienced
              • Mar 22 2013

Originally posted by jopizz
              Just buy some gasket material and make your own. They're nothing special.

John
              That was on my mind. Thanks.
              1959 Thunderbird - Thunderbird Registry #46052

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎