X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peeeot
    Experienced
    • Oct 23 2005

Raditor Acquistion

I've been waiting all too long to start my car for the first time since I've possessed it, and I'm held up by a leaky radiator. The repair shop said there was nothing they could do for it. I ordered one from a salvage yard in Wisconsin and it turned out to be the wrong part, and am waiting for them to sort out the return and refund and all of that. In the mean time, I wait, and at this point I have no idea when I'll be ready to fire this thing up.

The only radiator I've seen listed anywhere other than the one I ordered is the one at the Thunderbird Connection. I'm in North Carolina and would prefer to locate something closer by, and as cheap as possible (while still worth paying for). Any suggestions?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Raditor Acquistion

Try calling some of the Thunderbird vendors on the Links page on themain website. They may have a decent used one for you.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

I just installed a aluminum radiator. Hopefull it solves all of those old heat problems that everyone talks about.
      Want the number? I'm in Michigan but they ship everywhere.
      $350 but it beats old stuff.

Comment

• peeeot
        Experienced
        • Oct 23 2005

Sure, so far the only price I've seen listed was for $300 and I don't know whether that is used or recored or new or what. Is the aluminum design identical to stock, just manufactured in aluminum? How is the fit? Any modifications necessary?

Comment

It is manufacutred to basically bolt right in. I had to drill out 3 holes in the bottom and two holes in the top to mount it. Do you want to see some pictures? Send me an e-mail. kmentg@mail.wcs.k12.mi.us

Comment

• peeeot
            Experienced
            • Oct 23 2005

Email sent. Thanks.

Comment

• peeeot
              Experienced
              • Oct 23 2005

Has anyone ever had their radiator recored? About how much did it cost?

Also, can a 1960 radiator be used in a 1959 car?

see: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-...QQcmdZViewItem

One other question: Was the 430 radiator remarkably different from the 352? I'm trying to ID the incorrect part that I have.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Yes, they are the same from 1958 to 1960, whether or not you had a 352 or 430. The parts book lists a separate number for A/C equipped cars from 1959 onwards. Probably this radiator had an extra coolng row in the core.

Recoreing a radiator should cost between $200 and $400 dollars. I had mine done a few years ago for $300.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 23 2005

Since my car is a '59 with a/c, would that mean it has 3 cooling rows? I heard these cars had either 2 or 3.

I guess the radiator in that ebay auction is incorrectly listed then.

Comment

• Alexander
                    Webmaster
                    • Oct 30 2002

What is incorrect about the list? How can you tell if it is two or three row from the pictures?

Alexander
                    1959 Hardtop
                    1960 Golde Top
                    Alexander
                    1959 Hard Top
                    1960 Golde Top
                    sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 23 2005

I can't tell the number of rows, but I know that the mounting flange at the bottom of that radiator in the picture is different than the one from my car's radiator, and if all 3 years are supposed to have the same one, then this one can't be listed right. The off-center rod running from top to bottom on the fan side is different than my old (original) radiator. It has a centered rod on the grille side. I think the draincock location is wrong too. It isn't clear whether the mounting points on top are the same or not.

Given the small clearance between the fan and the radiator, .5" max, a radiator that isn't 100% right probably won't work.

Comment

Shorebird

Could you post the number of the place you gor your radiator from? I am interested in getting one. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎