No announcement yet.

Hub Caps

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Caps

Has anyone seen a squarebird with the standard Ford dog dish caps? I just read an article that said the turbine caps were an option. Did the dog dish caps come with a trim ring or just the cap?
    Thanks.
    Joe
  • Hawkrod
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2005

There were no trim rings and if a car had dog dish hubcaps it was also supposed to have color keyed wheels. Hawkrod

Comment

• seven up

oops

testing my custom avatar

it is "hub caps" related

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

I PM'd you. PLEASE post a pic of your car w/those caps. I might just run those !!

Originally posted by seven up
        oops

testing my custom avatar

it is "hub caps" related

Comment

• seven up

It's buried under blankets in the garage for now. I emailed the larger picture to byers if they can post it.

Comment

• GTE427
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 9 2007

Seven up, good to see the pictures of your tire/wheel combination. I have a white 59 and was hoping to get my combination ready for the spring. THe original non-vented rims are harder to come by then I expected, this is my hold up. The wheel covers you have are prior to the squarebird, last year was 56, still have a great look on your car.

There seems to be varying opinions on this site about color-keyed wheels, the VTCI judging rules go with the black wheels for full or small caps.

Considering the combinations, I will go with radial blackwalls, white painted wheels and gold insert poverty caps. At Fall Hershey, I photographed some options to consider for my white car and your picture shows another option. I've heard the gold insert is correct for the 58/59 TBird, the VTCI OFS indicates white in one section and gold in another section, not sure which is correct. I'm opting for the combination that's most appealing for myself and cost effective as I can pass on Coker when buying BSW tires.

The yellow 58 Sedan Delivery pictured below has the correct cap for 58/59, the 60 was different again. The WSW, white wheel on the early Ford seems like too much white on a white car.

Look around the site for more on hubcaps, one thread was 'ride height, tire size, here we go again' that touched on wheel color and hubcups.
            Attached Files
            Ken
            1959 J Convertible
            1960 J Hardtop

Comment

What do the dog dish caps look like for 60?
              Thanks.
              Joe

Comment

• dgs
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2003

There was a short lived T'bird place in Zanesville OH called Y-City Thunderbirds. I traveled out to his place and I think he had some non-vented wheels. No idea if you could get a hold of him or not. Here's the info I found on this online directory:

73 Shawnee Ave
                Zanesville, OH 43701
                (740) 588-9141

The web site is gone, however.
                DGS (aka salguod)
                1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                www.salguod.net

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

Thanks for the lead on wheels, I'll give him a call.

For the 60 dog dish cap see below. There's also a Black 60 on hemmings for many months that has these small caps, take a look, should still be online.
                  Attached Files
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Here goes;
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ken,
                      Thanks for the input. That Bird in Hemmings is just too black for me, Black body, black tires, and black rims. It at least needs white walls to brighten it up.
                      Joe

Comment

• seven up

The poverty caps with my 60 bird are 10 3/16 diameter, inside edge to inside edge. They are on the unvented original wheels. 14". The original wheels have held up excellent considering their age. I'll measure the edge or depth on the trim rings and post it. The rings look stainless. ???

Thank-you byer for going to the trouble.

Enjoy

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎