• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

Pitman arm questions

59 Convertible

Is there an index slot on the pitman arm to align it to the steering box splined shaft? My box was rebuilt and I am reattaching the arm to it. I am working on my back underneath it and viewing is difficult.

Also it would be easier if I could take the arm off the ball stud. How much muscle can I apply to separating the arm from that ball stud?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There isn't an index on the pitman arm. According to the manual you are supposed to install it straight ahead with the ball nut centered. However to tell that you would have to take the cover off. My thought is to count the turns from lock to lock and find the center point. Then install the pitman arm pointing straight ahead. Are you talking about removing the pitman arm from the ball stud on the control valve. If so you should use a tie rod puller or something similar.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• p38fighter
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 14 2016

Thanks, the rebuilder marked the center of the shaft and a corresponding mark on the box. So pointing the wheels straight ahead and driving on the arm should give an initial starting point.
      Yes I was talking about removing the arm from the control ball stud.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎