Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shortysbreath
    • Nov 21 2011

'60 black with red leather interior

Greeting from St.Louis, new home of a mostly restored 1960 Bird. Lot of bird fans here, particularly cardinals. The square variety draws whistles whenever she's out foraging.

Right now she's against waking up on cold mornings. Even though she has a professionally rebuilt autolite sitting on top. Rises and shines fine when the temperature suits her--60 degrees at least. Not interested otherwise. Runs like a Kenyan miler when she does stretch her legs.

Read some of posts about folks switching to Edelbrocks. I have an old (redundancy alert) Desoto that had Carter problems. Popped an Edelbrock on several years ago. Runs like a rocket. Starts right away.

Bird and Desoto both have electronic ignition. Bird has new cap, wires and plugs. Didn't change coil (might do that after reading post here).

Wore out both thumbs fiddling with choke setting.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd be in your debt.

I'll shoot some pics and post them if it ever quits raining.

Car has all new interior, no rust, great chrome and paint and is a kick to drive.

Thanks in advance for help.

Phil
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Do you have the fast idle screw and the choke rod/cam adjusted correctly. Those are the two most important adjustments for cold weather. Just turning the choke wheel doesn't always do it. You can also change the accelerator pump setting to the cold weather position and see if it helps.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• shortysbreath
      • Nov 21 2011

cold start problem

Thanks John. I believe the accelerator lever is in the top position, which is supposed to be the winter setting I think.

I think the fast idle does need to be dialed up. I'll check other adjustment see if that helps.

Appreciate advice.

Phil

Comment

• davidvend
        Apprentice
        • Aug 29 2009

My bird was also hard to start and the owner I purchased it from told me the easiest way to start the bird was to press down on the gas pedal 14 times and then she would start. I rebuilt the 4100 carb and now it starts with 1 pump on the pedal to close the auto choke. If your carb doesn't need rebuilding Jopizz knows it all and he's been a great knowledge of info check out what he's posted. The top of my carb was cleaned but they never rebuilt the bottom and the fuel would seep backwards and drain the fuel out and thats why it took 14 pumps each try to get it started in the morning.

Comment

• shortysbreath
          • Nov 21 2011

Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with carb joint that rebuilt it and they gave me some tips for adjusting the choke and butterfly. Which I'll do tomorrow.

Other than hard starting, it runs like a rocket. Big fun.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎