X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Roof Rail Weatherstrip Caution/Question

I ordered a Roof Rail Weatherstrip for my 60 HT from Macs Auto Parts. This is the long weatherstrip that goes from the front to rear along the top of the windows.

They are $199.95 a set, made in Tiawan. They were 3 inches too long, and the curve at the back was not right. You can't bend them at the curve, because there is a right angle metal insert in the rubber.

Macs took them back, and no problem with a refund.

I called around to everyone (Larry's,Concourse,T-Bird Nest, Bob's Birdnest, on and on). The best one to get would be Dennis Carpenter reproduction from original tooling. BUT, Carpenter does not make them yet, but might in about a year.

So, the only supplier is the one from Tiawan for all of them.

If anyone has installed a pair of these lately, I'd like to know how they fit, and they had to do any trimming to fit.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Twenty-five years ago, all they had for that weatherstripping was the straight section. You had to leave the curved lower section in the car and just glue the two sections together. About ten years ago, I put in the newly available complete roof rail reproduction weatherstripping. I do not remember the source of the part for sure, but I think I bought it from Bob's Bird House. I do remember it took a lot a of wrestling to get that part to fit right. I had a friend hold the piece in place, while I screwed it in. It turned out well.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Now I know why they didn't have the curved section back then

I'll give Bob another call and talk to him some more. I really need to get them installed ASAP.

Thanks
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍