X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Dying/Painting Seat Covers

Hypothetical question. Let's say I had a 1960 bird with white interior, but I wanted one that was 2-tone white/blue.

Would it be a better idea to order and have new covers installed (assume the old would need to be removed)? Or hire someone to dye/paint the white seat covers on the edges?

Like this for example:

• jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

1960 Thunderbirds never had an all white interior.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Here is an example. Must be a custom. I found one similar but I cannot upload the photo having trouble. In this example the thought would be to dye the seats making them two tone red-white.

Would it be possible to do that?
      Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ssj335
        Here is an example. Must be a custom. I found one similar but I cannot upload the photo having trouble. In this example the thought would be to dye the seats making them two tone red-white.

Would it be possible to do that?
        Yes, you can dye the outer part. How long it lasts is another story. Since the driver seat gets most of the wear it may have to be redone at some point.

John

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Thanks John. That's what I was wondering. They sell dyes at TbirdHQ. I hope and guess they would carry all the various interior colors from 58-60.

Open to suggestions if anyone has a better idea on how to make this work. It is hypothetical but also something i am seriously considering. Do you think it would be much more cost effective to do it with dye or paint, versus ordering new covers?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

New seat covers cost around $600 plus installation. A can of vinyl spray costs about $15. You have to weigh cost vs. longevity. If the seat covers and foam are new and I can get away with spraying them that's what i would try. If it doesn't work out then you can always replace them. SEM makes many different colors of vinyl spray including a couple of reds that I've used on Squarebird interiors with good results.

John

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎