• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

Transmission question

Hi all,

forgive me for posting a question about a non-Ford product, but here it goes.

I have a Chevy with a 454 motor and a TH400 tranny.

Everything was fine up until a week ago when I asked my wife to help me set the timing. I had her sit in the truck and place it in drive while holding the brake so I could adjust the idle speed and timing.
    Anyway, when she put it back in park (it is a modified floor shift with a T-handle), she jammed it so far forward that it has made the tranny malfunction.

For the past week it has been very temperamental when I try to take it out of park and a couple of days ago, it stuck in park and I can't get it to come out. It's like the park "pin" or pawl or whatever it is stays engaged.
    I've rocked the truck to try to release it and checked everything I could. The shift arm won't budge. I've checked linkage and fluid and everything!

Are there any auto tranny gurus out there who can tell me what to look for when I drop the pan this weekend?
    I'm not sure if I could recognize the problem if it were staring me in the face since I don't have any experience with tranny repair/rebuild.

Please help if you have any ideas.
    or if you know of a website with exploded diagrams of tranny's.

thanks!
    Casey
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Transmission question

You have a strong wife!!

I had TH400 trasmission in my 1967 Buick. They are nearly indestructible.

Try these forums:

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 21 2003

RE: Transmission question

The wife is off the hook!

I dropped the pan and discovered that the jam nut holding the detent plate to the shift lever was very loose. This allowed the detent plate to become displaced and hung up.
      I realigned it and tightened the jam nut and all is well again!

thanks for the links!
      Casey

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎