No announcement yet.

Still working out the backfire

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should be a ...

great experience for you. It's good to get your hands dirty and become an integral part of one's ride, to become one with linear and rotary motion that sails a man across the ocean. But I digress. I would remove the hood and the radiator first. Your going to want to have your radiator cleaned and checked anyway, and you won't unintentionally damage the core pulling the engine. Usually I pull the engine & trans as a unit and normally I go through the trans too. At least flush it out and put in a new new filter and pan gasket if it was known to be a properly operating unit. Use Type-F ford fluid only. Keep us updated. I'am finally back home and put my first day in on my bird today. I'm psyched. mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I agree with all these good folks:
      You're not alone - troubsullivan,
      You should pull the engine WITH the trans (just like the factory did) - Bob M,
      It's amazing that your engine still runs - tbirds8, and
      It's bloody shocking - scumdog.

Mike Gaffney struck a chord when he said, "This should be a great experience for you." What would you learn if your engine were clean and everything worked just fine... All experienced engine rebuilders have seen examples like yours. I'm glad you took it apart and saw the evidence for yourself because most people never do. They pay someone else to deal with all that nastiness.

I firmly believe, when you personally restore your car, it will always have a part of you in it.

Keep up the good work; you're doing just fine. We all started in the same place, and I will predict this with certainty:
      If you rebuild this engine, it won't be your last. The learning experience alone will drive you to want to do the next. You will soon find out, you are capable of far more than you think.

We are all rooting for you so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Guys... we need a pushrod... anyone got a spare hanging around? - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Pushrod ...

Good thought Dave. Justin, I have pushrods I'll never use. Measure overall length just to be sure but they should be the same. E-mail me your address and I'll send you a few. Mike

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
          Apprentice
          • Mar 17 2010

Thanks for the help so far and i will begin with it as soon as possible i will probably pull the motor and begin to take it apart soon. Am in a time crunch to get work done because i leave for mandatory army training beginning of June and wont be home till middle of july for 4 days then off for another two weeks but i will try to get as much done as i can before i leave at least have it taken apart and start part hunting. But as soon as i get home thats all i will be doing that is for sure, i will become a subscriber to squarebirds this week so thanks alot for the help so far.

Thanks again
          Last edited by 1965TbirdMan; May 14, 2010, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
            Apprentice
            • Mar 17 2010

Thanks for the pushrods just got them today, hopefully i can put them to use soon thanks, as soon as pay pal confirms my transaction i just did with squarebirds then i will be a new subscriber/member thanks guys

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
              Apprentice
              • Mar 17 2010

Well im back from all of my summer activities that took me away from my baby...so i started cleaning up some of the internal engine parts that i pulled off like rocker arm assembly and so on...that sludge is horrible and a pain to clean...i planned on having the block and what have you boiled so my first question who normally can do that and what am i looking at for a price on that thanks guys

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Hello Justin,
                Good to see you back. Call a local dealership and ask them who they use for engine rebuild work. Since none of the dealerships have a machine shop, they outsource engine and transmission work. The first step in any overhaul is to disassemble all the parts and clean them. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ShowMeGuy
                  • Nov 29 2010

Originally posted by 1965TbirdMan
                  Well im back from all of my summer activities that took me away from my baby...so i started cleaning up some of the internal engine parts that i pulled off like rocker arm assembly and so on...that sludge is horrible and a pain to clean...i planned on having the block and what have you boiled so my first question who normally can do that and what am i looking at for a price on that thanks guys
                  How is your overhaul going???

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 17 2010

Going slow

Found myself to be very busy since i got back i have the motor stripped down and ready to be pulled out. I was wondering though when taking the ac unit out. Where is the best place to disconnect the hoses for it. They are on the unit pretty good and right now it is just sitting there i would like to have it off prior to pulling the engine out i can see it fighting me when i go to pull it out. So is there a trick or a secret i am missing.

Comment

• ShowMeGuy
                      • Nov 29 2010

On my cleaning project I took them off at the pump as well as the radiator... One of them took some serious grut for sure. Pick up some flare nut wrenches they will come in handy other places like brake work! They help to keep you from rounding fittings.

Is your AC system charged with any R12??

ShowMeGuy

Comment

• ayrwoof
                        Experienced
                        • Apr 4 2005

old trick dad was shown in 1963

AT IDLE if you pull off the vacuum advance hose , the rpm should not drop
                        more than 25 rpm. if it does you need to close throttle more .
                        This lets engine stall/die . lease idle screw alone. ajust for more air.
                        remore 4100 carb ,turn over . 1/8" from the idle air bleed slot drill a
                        1/32 inch hole int the plate , center pop this. so drill dont walk.
                        next move inboard again 1/8" again center pop for another hole
                        again 1/32" in dia. clean with carb cleaner, reinstall carb. Next ,
                        thier is alot to be said for the factory vacuum advance. if you got one
                        take out all washers, drive car on hot day. if it pings yet starts good
                        add a washerto kill pinging. if it dont start easy reajust initial adv.
                        note car should have sweet exhaust note.
                        Last edited by ayrwoof; October 29, 2013, 05:19 PM. Reason: to get the throttle to close more drill one hole out to 1/16"

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎