Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wvtbird
    • Aug 1 2013

Steering issue

When driving my 'new' 63 I notice a 'surge' in the steering when negotiating a right hand turn. The steering wheel almost has a life of its own. It always steers (jerks) more to the right. I had my mechanic inspect the front end. The only suspect part he found was the idler arm that had a little slack. We went ahead and re-bushed it , this didn't solve the 'surging' issue. The rag joint looks ok. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't drive it because I'm not sure if something is going to fall off! Thanks in advance for any help.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I assume everything is tight and not binding, but it's up to you to check. As silly as it sounds, loose belts will cause surging. The hardest time for your power steering is in tight parking lots when the engine is at idle speeds. You can troubleshoot by raising the hood and watching the pulleys as someone rotates the steering wheel back and forth. When the belt slips, the pulley will look like it stops momentarily, then it grabs, then it doesn't...

Low power steering fluid level will cause surging too. If your system has a filter, you might want to check that as well. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• wvtbird
      • Aug 1 2013

Thanks for the reply! Yes, everything is tight and not binding. PS reservoir is full, belts snug. The only time I've noticed surging is on the road 35 to 55 mph. I'm a little nervous to go any faster.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I agree with Dave that it sounds like a power steering issue. On a '63 there are three components that make up the power steering hydraulic system. The pump, the steering box AND the windshield wiper motor. A failure or air in any of these three parts can cause a surging issue. Since it only happens on right hand turns my guess is the steering box but that is the most difficult and expensive to repair/replace. I would do as Dave suggested. Check the power steering filter if it has one and make sure it's clean. If the fluid has been in there a long time it wouldn't hurt to drain it and refill with clean fluid. I would use Type F transmission fluid to refill it. Try starting the motor and turn the steering wheel in each direction until it stops. That should purge any air out of the system. Do your wipers work? If not that would indicate a problem with the wiper motor.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• wvtbird
          • Aug 1 2013

Thanks, the wipers do NOT work. We'll start there. Is the wiper motor under the dash?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's been awhile since I had a '63 but I believe it's under the cowl in front of the windshield.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by wvtbird
              Thanks, the wipers do NOT work. We'll start there. Is the wiper motor under the dash?
              No, it's located under the cowl dead center. '63 is the first year for this feature. It's a hydraulic motor that runs in series off the power steering. That is, the pump supplies the steering box, and then the steering box supplies the wiper, and then the wiper returns low pressure back to the pump.

Any problem in the system can cause funny things to occur, such as wipers cycling when you turn the wheel!

If your wipers don't work I suspect it is causing reduced flow back to your pump somehow.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎