Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 hardtop custom build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to say the antifreeze entered the cylinders when I pulled the heads. Antifreeze poured everywhere when I pulled it off. THe other four cylinders did not have any antifreeze when pulled.

Now for the gaskets... When I pulled everything I could tell they have seen better days, but nothing terrible. I am going to pull the oil pan in the upcoming days and this will tell me but more about how the engine was doing. I ran the car for about 10 minutes and heard no valve taps of bad bearings. It actually sounded healthy for such an old motor besides the leaking exhaust manifold. I will update everyone when I get further in the project.

The heads showed signs of carbon build up, but not bad either. How hard is it to pull freeze plugs with the block in the car? When I pull the freeze plugs should I flush the block out ?

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      ...We also need to know more about why you decided to tear it down...
      You show no more pictures and are not answering my questions. I will not guess further.

BTW, I'm not concerned about a little antifreeze in your cylinders. Pull your dipstick out and let's see what's down there. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Update!

Finished Por15 on entire interior. One word of advice to anyone interested in this product. DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR SKIN. It will stay they for a few days until the oil in your skin push it out of your pores.

I also finished vinyl dying dash pad and re-installed. You will also notice I am currently installing sound deadening throughout the car. It makes a huge difference with the echoing inside of the car. Should drown out a lot of the road noise.

Lastly, I installed a 3 gauge cluster under the radio. Fits very nicely.

Next part will be attempting to remove the 6 broken exhaust manifold bolts on the cylinder head. Wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          You show no more pictures and are not answering my questions. I will not guess further.

BTW, I'm not concerned about a little antifreeze in your cylinders. Pull your dipstick out and let's see what's down there. - Dave

Will do Dave. Once I get the time to take a picture I will update you as what was found. The reason Why I tore it down was the replace as many seals as possible to freshen up the motor.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Dan.loeb
            ...Next part will be attempting to remove the 6 broken exhaust manifold bolts on the cylinder head...
            They should come out if you use a good stick welder and six nuts. Oil plugs never want to come out of the block, so I use the same method on them as well. Heating the area will only serve to warp the castings. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

1960 hardtop custom build

Update.

Sorry I have not updated in a while. I completed the engine rebuild and boy what a job. Here is what was done in the engine stage of my restoration

1) New gaskets through entire engine
              2) New engine mounts
              3) New Full exhaust system
              4) Painted engine
              5) Refurbed exhaust manifolds
              6) Edlebrock 1406 carb
              7) Edlebrock valve covers
              8)Edlebrock intake
              9) Installed Electric Fans (2 10")
              10) Flex A Lite Fan controller
              11) New belts
              12) New Fuel pump
              13) New Fuel Lines through out.
              14) Pertronix Ignitor
              15) Pertronix Coil
              16) 1996 Thunderbird Alternator 130amp
              17) Krap Alternator bracket (PRICEY $$$$ but well worth my time to build one)
              18) Painted engine bay
              19) Re- welded tranny dipstick tube
              20) rebuilt water pump
              21) New plugs and wires
              22) New ground wires
              23) New battery

Next stage in my restoration will be the body work. The body on the car is actually in great shape. It was a california car with very minimal rust issues. Car runs like a champ now.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by YellowRose; February 22, 2015, 06:30 PM. Reason: Downsized pic to 800pixels. Adjust your Photobucket setting..

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dan looks like she will purr like a kitten She looks great especially with the snow as back drop in the driveway in PA.
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Daleo56
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 27 2014

The black looks nice. Is the interior in good shape?
                  Tim Daleo
                  Azusa, California
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

Well... were rounding to the end. It has been a LONG 2 1/2 years and can proudly say I am nearly done with my project. I have learned a lot along the way and can also say I did EVERYTHING to this car myself. Everything from metal fabrication to paint. It might not be for everyone, but every person who see's this car is amazed it is a 1960 thunderbird. First car show is coming up with July and can not be more excited.

Last edited by YellowRose; June 5, 2017, 06:17 PM. Reason: Fixed Pix, I hope....

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Questions on your build

Originally posted by Dan.loeb
                      Well... were rounding to the end. It has been a LONG 2 1/2 years and can proudly say I am nearly done with my project. I have learned a lot along the way and can also say I did EVERYTHING to this car myself. Everything from metal fabrication to paint. It might not be for everyone, but every person who see's this car is amazed it is a 1960 thunderbird. First car show is coming up with July and can not be more excited.
                      I'm curious about your door panel. What you did for the pull handle?

And are you looking for a missing part on your hood scoop?

Comment

I have hoodscoop. Just need to repaint the hood and hood scoop.

Doors have wireless door poppers installed

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dan yes it has been a long 2 1/2 years but your vision of this do it yourself project is complete. Good luck in the car show as you should be proud.
                          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                          Thunderbird Registry
                          58HT #33317
                          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍