Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blue 58
    • Aug 12 2012

I need more leg room!

I just connected the battery to my new project bird, just to see what works and what doesn't. Much to my surprise, the power drivers seat works! The bad news is that even at its farthest back position, my 6'4'' frame is pretty cramped. A lot of it has to do with the monstrously huge and deep steering wheel, but ultimately I just need the seat to go back farther. Has anyone attempted to relocate their seat back a few inches? Or am I SOL? Thanks.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Eric, I have the same problem as we share the same height. A few inches of seat travel is a lot. And yes, others have fabricated 'extensions' that are welded to the seat tracks. These extensions move the mounting holes where ever you need them to be.

The absolute WORST, is driving a rental van/box truck. The seat is permanently upright with very little front-to-back adjustment. It's murder on a trip from Miami to Detroit. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• blue 58
      • Aug 12 2012

Thanks, and I am glad to hear it's not just me. I woud love to see those extensions.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are mounting holes in the seat frames about an inch past the standard nuts that Ford says to use if you need more leg room. I'm not sure how much help they would be. You would need to use a nut and bolt to secure them. It would've been nice if Ford had welded nuts there but I guess it would've cost an extra five cents.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

I've heard this too. I guess every inch counts though, right?

Seems like someone here, in the past, had installed a sixties Mustang steering wheel as well. They gained another inch or so, with that mod, and it looked somewhat "correct"...

-Jon in TX.
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Any Trim Shop can help you out. They can show you the mounting holes or add more to the tracks.

I have a problem getting the seat out of the way far enough to get under the dash. It's much easier for me to remove the seat, first.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ratboy
              Experienced
              • Jan 10 2019

Originally posted by jopizz
              There are mounting holes in the seat frames about an inch past the standard nuts that Ford says to use if you need more leg room. I'm not sure how much help they would be. You would need to use a nut and bolt to secure them. It would've been nice if Ford had welded nuts there but I guess it would've cost an extra five cents.

John
              Do you think JB weld would be strong enough to hold the new seat nuts with bolts in place when I drop my readjusted seat track in place, if I'm careful? That extra inch will help a lot and I don't have access to a welder.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Ratboy

Do you think JB weld would be strong enough to hold the new seat nuts with bolts in place when I drop my readjusted seat track in place, if I'm careful? That extra inch will help a lot and I don't have access to a welder.
                I would be concerned that if it didn't hold the nut would work itself loose. I would recommend if you do it to use a slightly longer bolt (grade 8 preferably) and put another nut with a lock washer on top of it.

John
                John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Ratboy
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 10 2019

Thank you.

Comment

• p38fighter
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Oct 14 2016

If you got some 1 by 1/4 inch strap from the farm supply store, some studs, measured carefully and drilled the holes yourself and then took them to a body or welding shop I'd expect it would only be a few dollars for them to weld in the studs and tack on the extensions. This uses the existing holes and gave me two + inches.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• Ratboy
                      Experienced
                      • Jan 10 2019

I wasn't going to disconnect the track from the seat but it's pretty simple to do. 2in would be amazing. Thanks for the pics

Comment

• Reg_beagle
                        Apprentice
                        • Apr 13 2018

Re the JB Weld idea for the nuts when you move the seat to the secondary mounting holes, I just used the original studs, and used blue Lockite to attach a nut to one end. Then you can drop the bolts down through the track and add another nut and heavy washer from underneath the floor. Might need an extra set of hands to hold a wrench on the top nut while you tighten them from underneath.

Comment

• Reg_beagle
                          Apprentice
                          • Apr 13 2018

I should have mentioned that I am 6'2" and a bit, and moving the seat back to the secondary holes gives me just enough room to get in and out. But I still hit the new windlace with my clodhoppers nearly every time. Another inch or so would be good, will follow the ideas here.
                          Thanks,
                          Al

Comment

• Ratboy
                            Experienced
                            • Jan 10 2019

Im 6'3 or was. Added the 1/4 x 1in strap to my seat track so I'll be 2in over stock. It's at the welders getting the nuts tacked on. I'll post a pic but it'll look just like P38 fighters pics only not nearly as pretty

Comment

• Ratboy
                              Experienced
                              • Jan 10 2019

I just installed my driver's seat with the plus 2in track. Wow! It's almost like sitting in my Tacoma. So much more comfortable. Best mod I've done on this Bird.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎