Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krave
    • Jun 16 2008

Edelbrock 600cfm 1406

anyone put one of these on their t-birds I have a 1961 with a 390 and I'm starting to think about it.I've already done a Edelbrock alum intake so the pvc?(thing coming out of the back of the intake to the carb) wont be a problem.But I have had the carb rebuilt early last year had a electric choke installed a few years ago(but don't think it works to good)so I'm thinking getting a 1406 might be the way to go.Read its more tuned for economy not performance witch i think would be alright but i don't want it to run like a vw bug but if its not a race car that would be ok to it is getting close to being a daily driver so reliability and economy is important..any info about them or the job in front of me would be great...

Thanks..

Ed 1406 ...

I have one that came on an 86' F-250/460. It ran great on that. Then I put it on my 66 F-250/352 and with a jet/metering rod change it performed admirably there too. Next it is going on the new 397 FE that is replacing the 352. They will be down on a holley on top end power but not much. Very easy to tune(just read the manual). All in all a very good choice for your car if your not a purest. Mike

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

I am running two of them, well, one is an old Carter AFB, which is the same thing. They seem to work fine on our TBirds, didn't have luck with one on my olds however.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Put one on each on the 58HT & the 60HT and they purr just fine. Both seem to have a comfort zone between 60-70 mph and lots of pedal left for the carb to perform.
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

I have one on my 66. Works great, Gas miles?? I also had one on 70 cougar it didn't work so well on that. The 390's run their best with a 700-750, but these cars are heavy. Got a holley on the cougar as much as I don't like them. I had a 600 cfm holley on my 60 t-bird and it didn't run as good as with the stock autolite.

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Bestt carburetor ever made !!!!
            The one on my 60 is (at least) 20 yrs old (still says Carter on it)
            My 65 had one. My 72 El Camino had one. My Dodge Charger
            had one. They're awesome !!

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

John i agree and the best part is better gas mileage. Highway 17 city 1
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• krave
                • Jun 16 2008

Called Edelbrock today they suggested a 750 cfm 1411 just thought i would see if any one had any thoughts

Comment

1407 ...

I hav'nt run the 1411, but some folks on th FE forum found them problematic. Not sure why. You may want to do a search there. It seems they all use the same design, not sure why the 750 should be any different. As stated above I've had great luck with the 600 and also the 800cfm AVS we used on my sons 428FE. Mike
                  Last edited by Guest; October 21, 2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎