X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

C6 transmission: kickdown question

No matter how much I adjust the little screw/device on the Holley carb (which actuates the kickdown rod that runs down to the trans), it seems the kickdown function works only about half the time at best.

Kinda weird. And frustrating.

Any ideas?

How much does the kickdown rod have to move for the kickdown to function? All the way, half the way?
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517
  • KULTULZ

What is your application?

You have installed an aftermarket HOLLEY on your SQUAREBIRD and are using the HOLLEY kickdown instead of the origional bellcrank kick down?

The kick down is designed to be adjustable to get the gear change wherever the driver wants it.

I SEE NOW...

You have a 460 and C6 conversion.

Most likely, the HOLLEY kick down lever is not giving the kick down rod enough travel.

Are you using an OEM cable setup or LOKAR?

This- http://www.holley.com/20-41.asp -will give your kick down lever more travel if you are using one.
    Last edited by Guest; May 31, 2010, 04:37 AM. Reason: ADD INFO

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

Yes, Lokar throttle cable and Lokar gas pedal. The gas pedal is set up for the full range of motion; not restricted in any way. All the slack in the throttle cable has been adjusted out.

Looks to me like the little Holley part you recommend could be the hot ticket.
      Best thing about it is that it is only 7 bucks to try it

Comment

• KULTULZ

Maybe before buying the extension you contact LOKAR TECH for a set of instructions. The cable in some applications has to be cut for length. Did you perform this swap or buy it?

-LOKAR KICKDOWN CABLE INSTALL-

Can you post a photo of the setup?

You have the cable connected to the HOLLEY (FORD STYLE) mechanical kick down lever?
        Last edited by Guest; May 31, 2010, 10:27 AM. Reason: ADD A QUESTION

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

I dont have the Lokar Kickdown cable, just the throttle cable. Motor, trans, carb... all that stuff was installed already when I got the car, but it was a very new installation, and I have been slowly working out the little odds-n-ends.

Kickdown function uses the bent rod, which I suppose was an OEM piece from whatever car was the donor of the transmission.

I believe that extension piece will be the trick, since I have the set-screw turned out as far (long) as it will go.

Comment

• KULTULZ

OK. I understand now. That EXT is intended for your purpose then (OEM kick down rod).

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Gary, you have an excellent handle on what's really happening. I just learned a few things about my linkage from you. Thanks.
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

Here's a photo of the current set-up:
                Attached Files

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

I have no idea what the mechanism is inside the transmission that performs the "kickdown" function. How would a person know if the transmission is the problem?

I have a Hurst V-Matic II shifter, and when in ratchet ("manual") mode, I can shift down from 3rd to 2nd with no issues.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

As Kultulz suggested, you need a dashpot to prevent your torque converter from stalling the engine.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 30 2009

A dashpot? what in the world is that?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Look in your Parts And Accessories Catalogs for Ford number 9B549. There's a picture of one in the ILLUSTRATIONS Catalog on pg.315, just below the carb base plate.

Then, go to your TEXT Catalog and scroll down until you find 9B549 (in bold print on the left side). You can find exactly which one came on your engine. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Dakota Boy

Here's a photo of the current set-up:
                          Yeah, the kick down rod is too short. See how the kick down lever and rod sits back stretching the return spring?

Let us know how the extension works.

BTW-

You need a dashpot also. HOLLEY makes a universal that looks and works well on applications such as yours.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Dakota Boy

I have no idea what the mechanism is inside the transmission that performs the "kickdown" function. How would a person know if the transmission is the problem?

I have a Hurst V-Matic II shifter, and when in ratchet ("manual") mode, I can shift down from 3rd to 2nd with no issues.
                            If the kick down does not function, you go through a diagnostic sequence. It could be as simple as an out of adjustment to diagnosing a trans problem.

There is a lever on the left side of the trans case next to the gear selector lever. The accelerator through the kick down rod initiates this lever and second (passing) gear is achieved when the extra power is needed. This is an automatic feature where one will not have to move the main selector lever. It is for old farts like me.

Your shifter enables kick down manually (as does a SELECT-SHIFT trans) when the gear selector is moved to 2. We can do that also, but most with this type of car are not performance orientated as are the younger set...

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jun 30 2009

What does a dashpot do? How does it work? Holley site says it is for Manual transmissions... mine's an auto...

The car seems to run ok now, I just need the kickdown to function, for those times when I feel like wasting some gasoline (that's about the only result.... beside making my kids shriek with excitement and my wife roll her eyes at me)
                              Last edited by Dakota Boy; May 31, 2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎