This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Apprentice

philbird60 is on a distinguished road
Default steering box rebuild or upgrade

Got a '60 tbird, and the steering box has a lot of play in it.
I can rebuild it, but I'd kind of like to put close-ratio guts in it if I'm going to tear into it. Anyone know of some swap parts. or if an aftermarket company sells parts that will give me fewer turns lock-to-lock?
THanks!
Phil
Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 AM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbird60 View Post

Got a '60 tbird, and the steering box has a lot of play in it.

I can rebuild it, but I'd kind of like to put close-ratio guts in it if I'm going to tear into it. Anyone know of some swap parts. or if an aftermarket company sells parts that will give me fewer turns lock-to-lock?

THanks!

Phil
Interesting Post!

There is an GM Saginaw box switchover kit but stay away from it (deletes BENDIX hydraulic system).

Excerpt From- http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature21.html

Quote:
Fords present a unique problem, because both Ford's own manual and power steering gearboxes were the same gearbox until the mid-to-late 1960s. Ford's power steering consisted of the manual gearbox with a control valve attached to the end of the center link and a power cylinder, similar to a hydraulic shock absorber or ram unit.

These gearboxes were available in 16.0:1 or 20.0:1 ratios, and in either a 1-inch or a 1-1/8-inch steering shaft diameter. Units on some models from 1964-'67 still incorporated the long steering shaft that went up inside the steering column. The same type of unit was used in the earlier Fords of the 1950s and early '60s with non-collapsible steering columns. The later Ford units used a separate steering shaft and rag joint-type coupler set-up from 1967 on, similar to the GMs.
I would like to research this subject. There may be an answer all ready but most will go to a later box design or rack changeover.

You will first need the steering box info (build info) off the tag attached to the box (hopefully) to see what you have and where to start.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 AM
KULTULZ

Here's a consideration-

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=117

This eliminates the BENDIX steering linkage.

Do you want to keep the car original or slightly modified?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Apprentice

philbird60 is on a distinguished road
Default interesting, and thanks!

I'm definitely hoping to retain the oem power assist setup, and either just swap the box, or the guts. I'm gonna keep poking around.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default Are you sure ...

the play is all in the gear? You may find most of your play is in the power assist cylinder, and the Idler arm and tie rod ends. Unless the gear bearings are bad it may be fine. On my 60 the the case was almost dry, but after adjusting the bearings and pumping the case full of general purpose grease (not gear lube). Then I adjusted the play out of the sector (The slotted screw with the jamb nut) and it functioned perfectly. Worth a shot unless you have already eliminated those possibilities. Mike
Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffney1951 View Post

the play is all in the gear? You may find most of your play is in the power assist cylinder, and the Idler arm and tie rod ends.
Gospel Spoken Here!

There is a multitude of bushings, ball joints and control valve settings that can lead to slop on this system in addition to steering linkage(s) conditions.

Also consider pump pressure/volume output and reservoir filter condition.

GOOGLE- FORD BENDIX LINKAGE POWER STEERING

Last edited by KULTULZ : 04-22-2012 at 09:23 AM.