This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Felpro makes gaskets. They don't make spacers to my knowledge. It looks to be just a generic spacer that fits many different applications. It will probably work fine as long as there's no leaks. My major concern is with the carburetor. It could be just an adjustment issue but you seem to be running excessively rich. After you reinstall the carburetor I would set the mixture screws at 1.5 turns. That should give you a starting point that won't flood the engine and make further tuning almost impossible. Make small adjustments (1/8 turns) in or out to get the highest possible vacuum.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Experienced

Woobie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
Ok. Always welcome.

This is a very important adjustment about the accelerator pump. There is a section on the nylon accelerator pump cams also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Nx5HEzvlY

And a crappy video about the little holes on the outer edges of the four barrels called Air Bleeds. You can see the air bleeds in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMJ7a4hg2I

For tighening the carb/spacer down to the intake manifold it's criss-cross gradual tightening 60-80 in./ lbs.

The video of the accelerator pump.

1. If the accelerator pump is out of adjustment in the always on position, you are gonna be pouring gas into the engine when you don't need it. You can check the adjustment anytime.

2. The airbleeds are important to keep clear of debris.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Experienced

flyinthermals is on a distinguished road

Hello Austin

Everything is back together and she is running great. I cannot believe this is the same engine. It must have been a combination of loose carb, multiple vacuum leaks, cracked distributor cap and messed up timing due to the fact I was chasing a timing point that could not be found under all the conditions. I will pull the plugs in a few days to see if there is still oil fouling. The pcv issue is one I will have to think about. I have it blocked off on both ends right now. I was wondering how severe the blowby that was fouling the intake. I thought I read somewhere that some models were venting to atmosphere and had some filter set up. I will look into that. I watched those videos and will have to see where my carb measures. Most carb checks are above my comfort zone right now but I will keep reading. I have a few oil leaks to deal with and they will take the best part of my summer to address. This is hoist work I think and I may have to take it somewhere and let them find the leaks and patch them. Thanks Austin and everyone for your help and patience dealing with my questions and limited mechanical knowledge. It was great to be able to learn what to do from everyones instruction and fix it myself. Have great summer and enjoy your rides.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:30 AM
Experienced

Woobie is on a distinguished road

In this heat ??

I'll have to commend your perseverance on this issue.

That's just great news.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Experienced

flyinthermals is on a distinguished road

Thanks. My motivation was my young son rhythmically asking over and over whenever I walked in the house...."Is it fixed yet"..."is it fixed yet"...