and they show the inside of the deck lid - It looks
    like the latches are cable operated. There are latches
    like this on ebay. I'm wondering if this was something
    fabricated, or if some came that way?

Looks good to me for KNOWING you can get into the
    trunk if you need to

Thoughts on that?
    Here's the Vid

Seven82motors.com Gold Coast, Australiahttp://www.seven82motors.com.au/services/ocean-freight-from-l-a-to-brisbane/1959 Ford Thunderbird Convertible
    Last edited by byersmtrco; July 9, 2018, 04:25 PM. Reason: spell chk
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Those are someones' fabrication. I guess the solenoids weren't working so they removed them.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Sherman
      Experienced
      • Aug 22 2009

It is difficult to tell, but I wonder if the owner fabricated the cables to attach to a key hole latch (mechanism) on the deck lid?

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Thanks for the input.

I saw some latches on ebay.
        They looked like that video (No solenoids)
        Maybe they were just missing. So I'm wondering,
        with a 58 or 59, if those solenoids don't work how do you
        access the trunk? I know with my 60, you're pretty much
        screwed. Funny, the electrical has always worked.
        The screws will un latch - But try lifting that thing.
        Between the weight and the resistance from the cyls
        it takes two men & a crane.
        I don't know WHAT Ford was thinking with this system ??!!
        I know I go on & on about this - But its dumb !!!!
        You have a flat or need to get into the trunk -You're stuck.
        That's why the cable operated latches and the spring loaded
        supports appeal to me.
        Last edited by byersmtrco; July 12, 2018, 11:24 AM. Reason: Cuz I learned how to type last week

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by byersmtrco
          Thanks for the input.

I saw some latches on ebay.
          They looked like that video (No solenoids)
          Maybe they were just missing. So I'm wondering,
          with a 58 or 59, if those solenoids don't work how do you
          access the trunk? I know with my 60, you're pretty much
          screwed. Funny, the electrical has always worked.
          The screws will un latch - But try lifting that thing.
          Between the weight and the resistance from the cyls
          it takes two men & a crane.
          I don't know WHAT Ford was thinking with this system ??!!
          I know I go on & on about this - But its dumb !!!!
          You have a flat or need to get into the trunk -You're stuck.
          That's why the cable operated latches and the spring loaded
          supports appeal to me.
          Why don't you just replace the trunk cylinders and/or trunk solenoid so the system works as designed. You first posted about this problem back in 2016. At that time you were looking for a temporary fix. It's two years later and you still have the same issue. With the parts (which are readily available) it would take even a novice mechanic less than two hours to do the job. It's going to take a lot longer and a lot more money to do any sort of modification. As for access the shop manual clearly outlines how to open the trunk should the system fail.

John

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Agreed to all.

The more I try to simplify things, the more complicated they get.
            Typical old car right?

I've been going thru some serious . . . . Stuff lately (getting separated soon . . . blah blah blah) so the Bird has been a
            very low priority. Right now, I just need it to be as roadworthy as poss. So, in order;
            1-New gas tank-clean fuel lines- repl pump (hope carb isn't full of . . .
            2-Rr brakes, whl cyls-maybe drums (I have all this)
            3-Service trans-band adj- fluid drain & fill
            4-get the top working
            5-belts hoses, oil change

I really like these cars (all old American Iron), but still a Chevy/Harley guy trying to deal with a Ford.

It's funny, working for GM- being around TOTAL Chevy guys and tell em you'd rather have a 63 Galaxie than a 63 Impala.
            It's like I ran over their dog. I'd prefer a Mustang over a Camaro too. But my favorite veh of all time was my 72 El Camino.

Hopefully I'll be posting a video of the top going up & down

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I understand about being a GM guy. Other than old Fords I've driven Chevys all my life. Sorry to hear about your personal issues. Unfortunately there's nothing simple about any Squarebird convertible. I agree it's best to get your car running and driving first and then worry about the top. If the hydraulic system is the only problem with the top then you are lucky. That is much easier to fix than electrical problems.

John

Comment

• sidewalkman
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 14 2015

I wish I was a Chevy guy, unfortunately I'm a Ford fan, and a fan of British cars. Grew up having either british sports cars, or Fords.
                I think it started because people always said fixed or repaired daily, usually when talking from underneath their chev but I managed to build and race a couple of Fords that routinely beat the Chevs. Also because anyone can make a cool chev (if you can find something you consider cool) but it takes some perseverance and ingenuity to build a ford. I've always kept my ford ford, and I've not no patience for anyone who transplants a small block GM into a ford because 'it's so much less money'. My response is always, then buy a GM to hot-rod. I know they're ugly but.....
                I've been to a ton of car shows, Hot August Nights a couple of times and usually walk right by the Cameros and Chevelles because there are just so many of them. I do like the really custom ones where someone has put the effort into creating something unique. But regardless of how creative someone is with a Ford, if they've transplanted a non ford motor in I walk away. I do like tri 5 chevs, I really like a 1958 Impala, or a 58 Buick, the late 50s Cadillacs are beautiful too. Early 60s Impalas and Chevy II but I'd take a 59-65 T-Bird or a 39-40 Ford Coupe over them all.
                Like I tell everyone, if it was easy everyone would do it.
                Scott
                South Delta, BC, Canada
                1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                Red Leather Interior!
                www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                Thunderbird Registry #61266
                http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

Originally posted by sidewalkman
                  I wish I was a Chevy guy, unfortunately I'm a Ford fan, and a fan of British cars. Grew up having either british sports cars, or Fords.
                  I think it started because people always said fixed or repaired daily, usually when talking from underneath their chev but I managed to build and race a couple of Fords that routinely beat the Chevs. Also because anyone can make a cool chev (if you can find something you consider cool) but it takes some perseverance and ingenuity to build a ford. I've always kept my ford ford, and I've not no patience for anyone who transplants a small block GM into a ford because 'it's so much less money'. My response is always, then buy a GM to hot-rod. I know they're ugly but.....
                  I've been to a ton of car shows, Hot August Nights a couple of times and usually walk right by the Cameros and Chevelles because there are just so many of them. I do like the really custom ones where someone has put the effort into creating something unique. But regardless of how creative someone is with a Ford, if they've transplanted a non ford motor in I walk away. I do like tri 5 chevs, I really like a 1958 Impala, or a 58 Buick, the late 50s Cadillacs are beautiful too. Early 60s Impalas and Chevy II but I'd take a 59-65 T-Bird or a 39-40 Ford Coupe over them all.
                  Like I tell everyone, if it was easy everyone would do it.
                  Chevy's are easier, but NOT cheaper. Not any more.
                  Anymore it's LS,LS,LS !! Put an LS motor in it.
                  It IS a good engine though.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Originally posted by jopizz
                    I understand about being a GM guy. Other than old Fords I've driven Chevys all my life. Sorry to hear about your personal issues. Unfortunately there's nothing simple about any Squarebird convertible. I agree it's best to get your car running and driving first and then worry about the top. If the hydraulic system is the only problem with the top then you are lucky. That is much easier to fix than electrical problems.

John
                    Thanks for that.
                    Yeah, we've been lucky with the elec part. It has only not worked once in 58 yrs. And I am TOO familiar with the procedure to get the lid open. On a 60, you go thru the rear wheel well to access the bolts for the things the screw things screw into . . . THEN you drop the gas tank to unbolt the deck cyls . Takes over an hour. NOT fun.
                    I was cursing MoCo that day !!!
                    The hyd part (One thing or another has failed 3 or 4 times)

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎