Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redbird
    • Dec 16 2014

'65 legroom

Hi new to the forum and hoping to get an answer. I have recently purchased a 65 convertible and cant figure out if the driver seat is as far back as it should be. I had a hardtop 20+ years ago and dont remember sitting as close to the steering wheel as I do now! (I could have POSSIBLY put on a few pounds) The hardtop had a manual seat and the conv. has power. Ive looked at forums and online at legroom specs and it really hasnt helped. If anyone could give me their measurement from the bird on the center of the steering wheel to the bird on the back of the seat I would REALLY appreciate it. Mine measures 21 1/4". The power seat also feels like it wants to go back farther but cant. Thanks!
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'65 legroom

In the Squarebirds, the seats have to sets of holes and you can take out the seat and set it back in the other set of holes if it is in the forward set. This allows you to set it back another few inches. It might be the same with the Flairbird. Someone who owns one and knows if it does can tell you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

A measurement to the bird emblem is probably not the best way to determine where the seat is just because the seat backs are adjustable by turning in or out the stops on the bottom of the seat backs to make them recline more. I've found on all the Thunderbirds I've owned that the power seats don't seem to go back as far as the manual seats. I'm not sure if the '65 seats have multiple mounting holes like the earlier seats. I have a '66 with a power seat. I will take some measurements tomorrow and post them.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• jhuebner
        Experienced
        • Apr 12 2014

I have a 65 HT and there is multiple holes to adjust seat further back but very little difference if you need the driver seat to sit further back get some flat bar and make some mounts with additional mounting holes to position the seat even further back

Comment

• Redbird
          • Dec 16 2014

Thanks for all the replys. I never knew the seat could be adjusted by turnin the screws between the top and bottom of the seat. Im 6' 3" and need maybe 3 more inches of space. Its drivable but could be much more cofortable. Making a new bar to mount on the track is definately an option if the seat is as far back as it can go.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I checked my '66. With the power seat all the way back there's about 13 1/2 inches from the edge of the dash below the steering column to the front of the seat bottom.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Redbird
              • Dec 16 2014

Thanks John, I have the same measurement. I guess I have to look at other options to gain more legroom...

Comment

I have the seats out of my 66 right now, and there are indeed 2 sets of tapped mounting holes. So you should be able to move your seat back as Ray mentioned.

Comment

• franklin
                  • Feb 9 2014

Im glad someone else notices this. What surprises me is these are classy cars for their time, but made for people 5'8" to 5'10", as the seat only moves about 2 inches if that. I have been trying to figure out a good and easy way to make extensions for the tracks. The contour in the back doesnt look easy, but ideas may help the O.P., me, and others,,
                  1966 town hardtop

Comment

• arizonajack
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 15 2013

I have a 66 Convertible with a power seat. There's about 24" from the T-Bird emblem in the center of the steering wheel to the top of the seat back. I'm 5'11", about 208 lbs. I sit comfortably with arms slightly bent at the elbows. 5" or 6" between my gut and the bottom of the steering wheel. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎