• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob Sumowski
    Apprentice
    • Aug 21 2010

Fresh Air Vents 1958

Greetings to all,

I am wondering if anyone can help me understand the operation of the fresh air vent on a 1958 Bird with no air conditioning. I have found scant information about this system online. I would like to use these vents but the previous owner had the vents completely taped over. Of course, I can remove this, but am wondering if it might just allow hot engine compartment air to come into the cabin.

A manual I saw on this site talked about fresh air coming in through the grill and then being transferred to the cabin. Are there supposed to be some kind of intake or transfer hoses connected from the grill to the fresh air vents? If so, I haven't seen any in any of my squarebird catalogs and I can't find any such ducts or hoses on the car. Also, how does this system operate once the heater gets turned on in the winter? Will heat come from these vents, as well? What role, if any, does the heater core play?

Because I don't have air and we're in Georgia, I wouldn't mind getting some extra airflow, even if it is from outside of the car...as long as it isn't engine compartment heat. I know the windows and vent windows do a pretty good job providing exterior airflow for the shoulder and head area when I'm driving, but the lower compartment definitely gets warm.

I would appreciate any advice on what the purpose and function are supposed to be for these fresh air vents, as well as any solutions or suggestions for parts to make them operable.

Thanks!
    Rob
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

Isnīt "Fresh Air" intake the ones under the dash just in front of the doors?
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Rob Sumowski
      Apprentice
      • Aug 21 2010

Yes. Those are the vents I'm talking about. Thanks!

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

Those of us that have AC-equipped cars in the South that isn't working yet are also very interested
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

Fresh air vents ...

fresh air comes in from the cowl (the area at the base of the windshield). when I installed A/C in my 60 I had to lose the one on the passenger side but kept the one on the driver side operational for those just right weather conditions. They probably taped it shut because the door wasn't sealing right. You may have to remove it and do a little rehab work on it. Mike

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

And the heater air DOES NOT flow from these vents.

sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Yellowbird
              Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

If the vents are taped over, do you still have the lever assembly to open and close the vents? My '58 does not have a/c and these vents sure do help in the summer!

Leonard
              sigpic

Comment

• Rob Sumowski
                Apprentice
                • Aug 21 2010

Leonard,

Yes, it appears that I do have the levers and everything looks to be in good shape. Though they aren't rusted, I can't yet make them move, so they might just need some liquid wrench.

Is there a tube or duct that connects these vents to the cowl?

Thanks guys!

Rob

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Rob yes some liquid wrench would certainly free up the mechanism which apparently hasn't been used much. On the 58 the vent knob is pulled straight out and that little black ball is attached to the vent shaft.Think of this, as a small plate door with a spring attached that when you pull out it activates the open position. This can come off from time to time, as it was a poor design and I put some " gorilla glue" ( or some other form of expoxy ) in the ball opening going back on the shaft and it is secure.The other suggestion is to try it several times and shoot some liquid wrench alond the shaft until the mechanism works smoothly. I did several applications on my wife's 58 over the course of a weekend and now it works pretty slick.
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• JohnG
                    John
                    • Jul 28 2003

You mean you can now open the vent without laying on the ground with both hands on that little bitty black ball and your right foot pushing on the front tire ??? This is really good news for me!!!
                    1958 Hardtop
                    #8452 TBird Registry
                    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                    history:
                    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Rob Sumowski
                      Apprentice
                      • Aug 21 2010

Good advice...

Does anybody know where the vent knob is? I haven't seen one on my 58.

I have the little round black knob level on each vent. I didn't know there was a separate vent knob.

Thanks,
                      Rob

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                        Experienced
                        • Mar 31 2004

The 58 bird has 2 vents as noted in previous posts and non ac and AC bird are the same. The vents very often rust up slightly making the knobs very hard to pull on the 58's I hav eben lucky as mine have worked as long as I have owned the birds. Very easy to break the black knobs if trying to force the vent open. 58's the vent is opened by pulling the knob straight twords the cabin. Not easy as there is a couple pivot points that are not straight.

There is no other vent system that I am aware of on 58 birds.

Good Luck
                        Fuz
                        58's&64's
                        Sun Prairie, Wi.
                        tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fresh Air Vents 1958

Rob, to my knowledge, the only two air vents in your Tbird are those two round black knobs. You may have to squirt the levers with something to cut the rust or crud that might be keeping them from being pulled.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Anders
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 19 2008

The problem is that it dosnīt seems as these round black knobs are avalible, so be very careful.
                            They are fitted with a little tiny screw, and if you carefully loose these, take the knob out and use a plier to the metal part in order to be more firm if you want to lubricate and "push & pull" untill it goes little easier. That fasten the knob again. But DONīT overtight the screw, or you will break it as it is old, not flexible and very frigile.
                            I broke one of mine while tighten it just too much and have looked just everywhere for replacemnts without any succes.
                            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fresh Air Vents 1958

Hey Anders, send Carl ~ partsetal a PM or email Bob at Bob's Bird House to see if he has them, or Bird Nest. Or try some of the others listed in the Advertisements Forum. Carl has several parts cars and might have one. Bob's Bird House has a lot of parts also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎