X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 57ford/60thunderbird
    Experienced
    • May 4 2009

is this engine a 430?

hey all when i bought my 60 it came with an "extra" used long block but the guy cant remember what size it is i was told buy the guys over on y-blocksforever they think it is a 59 430 the only number i can find anywhere on the block are B9VE-B could someone tell me if this is a 430 and if possible tell me what family its from or maybe post a pic or two of a 430 block

the guy i got it from told me it was either a 429 or a 460 said a friend of his had it in a boat and that a 460 aluminum intake bolted right to it no problems thanks for your help keith
    57 ford sedan
    60 thunderbird registry number 33404
    69 mustang coupe
    69 roadrunner
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Keith perhaps someone else with a 430 can identify the casting numbers on the block B9VE-B On the main page there is a search button enter " engine size " push the button and all the threads / posts will come up regarding this topic. Scroll down to 430 engine and see the thread/posts of 10.29.05. Hope this helps.
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

Don't know about the casting numbers but does it look like this?
      Attached Files
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
        Experienced
        • May 4 2009

thanks for the replys guys ill check out that page of info

howard actually i dont think it does i dont remember it haveing freezeout plugs above the trans flange it will get home this saturday and ill snap a few pics of it then
        57 ford sedan
        69 mustang coupe
        69 roadrunner

Comment

Hey Keith,
          All my Thunderbird shop manual says is: patent plate symbol for the engine should be J

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
            Experienced
            • May 4 2009

is the patent plate the same as a door plate or data plate? if so i dont have one this was just an engine laying in the guys barn has been out of the car for years
            57 ford sedan
            69 mustang coupe
            69 roadrunner

Comment

• Hawkrod
              Experienced
              • Oct 31 2005

B9VE should be a 430, that is a Lincoln casting number and they only used the 430. I have a Merc 383 and it has a B9ME number which indicates they did not use the same casting as a 430. Hawkrod

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

The earliest casting on a 429 or 460 would start with C8*****
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                  Experienced
                  • May 4 2009

ok thanks guys so is the 430 and a 460 the same engine family? and is a 430 worth messing around with ? i got this engine to possibly use it in my 57 ford sedan

are parts readilly availible for a 430?
                  57 ford sedan
                  69 mustang coupe
                  69 roadrunner

Comment

• scumdog
                    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by 57ford/60thunderbird
                    ok thanks guys so is the 430 and a 460 the same engine family? and is a 430 worth messing around with ? i got this engine to possibly use it in my 57 ford sedan

are parts readilly availible for a 430?
                    NO!

Thet are TOTALLY different.

The C8** type number indicates they started building 640s in 1968 - long after 430s had gone the way of the dodo - hence parts for a 430 are not too easy to find..

Only the name is the same, I doubt if even the distributor cap interchanges between the 430 and 460.
                    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Hawkrod
                      Experienced
                      • Oct 31 2005

Actually the distributor cap, points, and rotor do interchange between a 430 and a 460 but that is almost it! LOL Also note that the 430 was not a dinosaur when the 460 came out, it had been upsized in 1966 to 462 and the 460 replaced that in 1968. Hawkrod

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
                        Experienced
                        • May 4 2009

ok guys its been awhile since i made this post but i finnally got the extra engine tonight and while i had it out in the sunlight i rechecked the casting number and i made a mistake when i first wrote the number down the actuall number is C9VE-B and i took some pics of the engine and heads so now maybe someone can help me id this engine
                        here is the link

i hope the link works
                        57 ford sedan
                        69 mustang coupe
                        69 roadrunner

Comment

That,s either a 429 or 460. It.s out of something from 1969

Comment

It has been a while since I messed around with the 385 series engines but I believe that the 429/460 blocks are the same with the exception of the crank and pistons. Check your crankshaft for the casting ID 4U. That would indicate a 429. I am not sure what a 460 would be. The heads are interchangeable between the two with the main difference of the combustion chamber volume. The 68 429 "Thunderjet" from a Thunderbird is the best as it came with small combustion chambers with an advertised 360 horse power with either 10.5-1 or 11-1 compression ratio. The 69 was down a little on compression as well as equiped with a thermactor system.
                            Dont shoot me if Im wrong....My memory is 47 years old!!!!

Comment

Been lookin in some books and I think you have 69 lincoln 460. It sounds like V is for the lincoln line. Could be wrong. Just my feeble mind at work!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎