No announcement yet.

1964 Shift lever problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1964 Shift lever problems

Anyone with a 64 Tbird knows of the very sloppy shift lever action on these cars ,which can be especially dangerous, as the e-break is released automatically when the shift lever moves out of PARK. If it gets poped out while idleing, there's nothing to stop your runaway car but maybe another car or a wall. I talked to the folks at the Bird Nest, and got a new shift lever and lower steering column bushing to fix this ...and now there's no play in the shifting at all...like brand new....highly recommend this for just a few bucks.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 1964 Shift lever problems

Thanks for the tip.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

I wish to do the same on my '66 T-bird, how hard is the job and could you guide me through it step-by-step?
      I already have the steering wheel off but it looks like I need to undo three screws that hold the turn-signal switch and a C-clip to pull off the section that covers the detent.
      Also what does the little bolt that is reached through holes in the shifter cowl do? (it's underneath the column about level with the shifter)

Tom
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

My 65 is somewhat (what am I saying . . . Very) sloppy. I have found though, that while in what I call the Lock n' Load posn (In Park w/strg wheel slid ALL the way over to the right) that it forces the linkage into Park. I'm still chicken parking that thing on a hill or even a slanted driveway. I block the wheel. Cheapee Kragen's tire chalk . V shaped thing. The other plus to that posn is it starts w/o having to hold the shift lever up.

BE CAREFULL with these !!!! Use blocks. Keep that e/brake in good wkg order.

JB

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Dentent modification

I ended up using a cutting disc to make notches in my detent plate - not a task for the faint hearted!

Now have a positive lock in Neutral, Reverse, Park. due to these notches!!!

Still use the parking brake when not on a flat surface but so far I have been real happy with my modification, it's a wonder somebody has not marketed a detent plate with the notches already in it???
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎