X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Power Steering Reservoir - Larry Jones

Larry Jones says his power steering reservoir won't stop showing bubbles. He is using his Shop Manual to fix his problem:

"OK Dave this is how it is. I decided to remove the the top of the reservoir. First I used a baster to rid the reservoir of fluid. Now with the top off, my shop manual says to remove the reservoir retaining one inch bolt and then the reinforcement from inside of the reservoir. And then lift off. The problem is, I tried to go counter clockwise with this one inch bolt and won't turn. I dont know how familiar you are with the reinenforcement tab. This tab sits on top of the orfice about a 16th of a inch upward. The manual doesn't say lifting this small lip off first it starts with the retaining bolt which is one inch but it wont turn. Now this one inch bolt was submerged on red fluid so it should be easy to turn but it isn't. There must be something more to this procedure. I noticed that the red orfice was sticking out of the bottom of the reservoir so that's where the air is entering. Can you, or if you dont know, throw this question out who actually did this removal of this one inch six point bolt. Thank you Dave"

Larry is asking our Power Steering Gurus to help him with this. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

• jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Not sure what to tell you. I've done more of these than I care to remember. The bolt should come off rather easy unless it was somehow cross threaded when it was installed. A few taps with a hammer on a 3/8 socket should be sufficient to break it free. I've never had to use more force than that.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
      Not sure what to tell you. I've done more of these than I care to remember. The bolt should come off rather easy unless it was somehow cross threaded when it was installed. A few taps with a hammer on a 3/8 socket should be sufficient to break it free. I've never had to use more force than that.
      Ill start tapping the bolt and squirt some wd 40 around it also. Thanks alot for your input. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
        Experienced
        • Feb 3 2009

cap for the power stering unit

There is a big O ring on the upper inside of the cap.This O ring could have been the orginal O ring for the inside of the cap. Is this power sterring unit cap suppose to be sealed so no air is able to get in from this O ring. The o Ring is 5 inch by 1/8of a inch. Would this be possible that air would be getting into from the O ring causing the air bubbles. Where would I be able to buy this O ring without buying the whole kit. My car is a 62 t-bird. Thanks Dave. Larry

Comment

• ozbird
          Apprentice
          • Sep 21 2009

Seal

Hi Larry & Dave - just go to your favourite Tbird vendor, they have those seals by the box full!! Suggest Birds Nest, just get your measurements right as there are 2 sizes (1 for air con 1 without).

It's not going to break the bank @ $2.25 each.

Personally I don't believe the seal would be causing the air bubbles, simply because the fluid is under so much pressure that any leaks in the seal would blow fluid everywhere in the engine bay....yes, first hand experience there.

If you are not losing any fluid then it could be the pump or the box....might have to get off that wallet again?

Graeme

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎