X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

purchasing a rebuilt long block

I have a 1962 ford convertible with three cracks in the block. It has been spotting two or three drops in each spots when I come home from driving it. Has anyone out there every bought a 352 or 390 block from a reputable store front that you would recommend. The casting on the intake is C2AE. Thank You larry. I Have seen several places but they cant quarantee the three hundred horses. The bore is 4.05 and the stroke is 3.78 The compression in my 390 is 9.6. In theres its 9.5 would that make to much of a difference.

1/10th of one point in compression would make no notable difference. Who builds your motor can make a huge difference. I build my own engines so I know what goes into them and I have my machine work done by a reputable performance shop. Buying from a big rebuilder can save alot of money compared to having an engine custom built, but make sure they have a good reputaion and a good warranty. Three hundred hp is very easy to get from a 390 or a 352. If they can't give you what you want go to someone who can, it's your money. If your willing to do a little work yourself or have someone who can help you, I would just buy a short block and get a set of Edelbrock alum. heads and RPM intake with a mild cam (say a 268 or 270H) and you can have 400hp and still have a nice streetable engine that will run fine on pump gas at idle with the A/C on, and be very impressive on the the motorway when overtaking (as the british say). Mike

Comment

• Larry Jones
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2009

rebuilding the engine

Iam a novice to all of this so bear with me.You list in your thread a edelbrock alum heads and a rpm intake is this the intake manifold and would this also be alum.What does rpm stand for. And also a mild cam either a 268 or 270a. What do these numbers mean to me.When ordering a short block dont they include there cam in there short block already. What other concerns would I have if I take your suggest. Also whatreputable vendor would you recommend that maybe some friends oy yours have used. Thank You. Larry

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Larry Jones
        Iam a novice to all of this so bear with me.You list in your thread a edelbrock alum heads and a rpm intake is this the intake manifold and would this also be alum.What does rpm stand for. And also a mild cam either a 268 or 270a. What do these numbers mean to me.When ordering a short block dont they include there cam in there short block already. What other concerns would I have if I take your suggest. Also whatreputable vendor would you recommend that maybe some friends oy yours have used. Thank You. Larry
        I have the RPM manifold on my car, and I don't know what it means... but I think the RPM designated a high rise dual plane vs a standard performer manifold which is a low rise.

Here is what Edelbrock says about one

RPM range of 1,500 to 6,500, dual high rise

"A dual-plane, high-rise designed with a 180º firing order greatly produces incredible top-end horsepower while retaining great throttle response. Their larger plenums and runners match high-lift cams, free flowing exhausts and other modifications of a high-output engine. Great for street or strip."

"Designed for high-performance street 390-406-410-427-428 c.i.d. Ford FE V8s with standard 390-428 c.i.d., 427 low/medium-rise or Edelbrock Performer RPM FE heads. The dual-plane constant cross-sectional area design builds low and mid-range acceleration while optimized runner paths make exceptional top-end hp. Has provision for adding the PCV or breather flange at rear. No exhaust crossover passage."

A V8 short block generally would be the block with the internals, IE, the crank, rods, pistons, etc. Wouldn't include the heads, cam, waterpump, etc. At least that is the way I understand it. If you were to get an FE short block I would think you would have to move all your external parts, the heads, cam, intake, starter, disy, maybe even the oil pump and pan?

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

I just did a google search for you, I know nothing about these

There is a short block listed

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎