X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • booalou
    Apprentice
    • Jun 7 2007

Q's

Was fortunate enough to pick up two almost brand new Q's for my 62 tbird and had a question on there installation. Wanted to know if the Q's could be replaced without removing the entire rear bumper. If anyone has had experience in this regards please advise.
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

Hi

Sorry, the news is all bad - the rear bumper has to come off, there's no other way. It's bolted from behind, through the bumper into the Q. I addition, you can't get your taillight buckets out from the Q without removing the bumper. It's not that hard to do, remove the bumper and bumper braces as one unit, watch the wiring though - you'll need to unplug it inside the trunk, push the grommets out and the wiring as one piece - no need to cut the wires.

It's a two to three person job - not that it's difficult, it's good to have one person on each end of the bumper, and one person underneath undoing the bumper bracket bolts. There are also bolts that pass through from inside the trunk, through the rear trunk panel (not the trunk floor) into the bumper.

Use penetraing oil on the bumper to Q bolts, and leave it to soak - it's likely they're rusted in place. There are five I think.

I've attached two pics - you'll see where the bolts are, and also the bracket with two nuts that holds the taillight bucket into the Q.

Note also that one of the Q bolts also secures the bumper bracket, and the bumper bracket also has an integral exhaust mount - you'll need to unbolt the tailpipe from this mount on each side.

Some advice - the reason the Qs rust is that they're a big dirt trap - the design isn't good - the open back part of the Q hangs down below the body line when installed, so dirt/water that gets kicked up by the rear wheels ends up inside the Q. Before you install your new ones, give the insides a good prime with a protective paint, then spray it with a rustproofing/waterprooing liquid - I used Fisholene.

Don't diacrd your old one sif they're not too rusty. Mine had rust holes in the lower part, I couldn't get affiordable replacements sdown here in New Zealand so I had a restoration shop cut out the rust, weld in patches, file finish and then had them show quality rechromed. Worked out cheaper than buying new ones and shipping them down to NZ.

Good luck

Alistair
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Petrolhead; April 24, 2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• booalou
      Apprentice
      • Jun 7 2007

Thanks for the information. I guess it will be a little harder for me cause I will need to rig something so I can do it by myself. Could try have my two little boys (5 & 8) give me a hand but that may make things worse. I follow the rustproofing instructions your gave but is the fisholene a product that stay damp never dries type deal?

Most likely. once I remove my old ones I will put them on ebay for sale.

Comment

• Petrolhead
        Experienced
        • Jul 2 2007

Not sure of you have fisholene in hawaii, but it comes in a spray can and stays ruuny for a few weeks before slowly solidifying into a soft sticky coating. Ther's a lot of similar procts that'll do the same job.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎