X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Question about a 63 Bird.

I went and looked at one over the weekend.

It is a M. Green and Black interior car, factory a/c, manual window, single exhaust car, with skirts.

Block was red? Motor sounds very tight doesn't smoke, but was running fat at an idle.

Anyway, the paint is dead, but the body is very very straight. All the chrome was on the car and in decent shape. One rust spot on the driver side low in front of the rear wheel opening, and bondo on the passenger front fender right before door and into the door, about a 3 to 4 inch section.

Glass was in great shape.

Interior is okay, dash as cracked, door panels were starting to go, back seat was nice except small tear in top center, headliner is half gone, front seats are starting to split and the center console box covering is shot.

Now for my question. Looks like I can get this bird for 3k, and am considering it for my son's car. I imagine it will only get at best 16MPG, but doubt it will ever be more than 12MPG.

It's this route or go with a 90s model honda or something for him, or let him drive my 97 Suburban.

I figure fixing the A/C would run at least 500 to 1,000, the interior other than the headling, he can live with, paint..be fine for his first car, has new tires on it.

thoughts?

Thanks

If this is his first car it's always good to have the protection of american steel and maybe get involved with auto shop.
    You cant beat the interior.

Comment

• fomoco59
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 10 2005

You mean he doesn't want a Mustang ?
      sigpic
      Mike Lemmon
      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

You really didn't think anyone on this site would recommend a Honda did ya?

Comment

• Petrolhead
          Experienced
          • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by RustyNCa
          ... back seat was nice except small tear in top center, ...
          As long as the back seat is fine your son will be happy...

Seriously though, it's cheaper than my '62 was and sounds like a better car.

I agree with the earlier post, keep him out of Japanese sheetmetal. His mates (and chicks) will think he's pretty cool too.

Through my experience pulling my 62 to bits, check the top of the rear inner wheel tubs for rust holes, where they join the fender, and in the trunk near the wheel tubs.

The early stuff is also a lot easier to work on (carb vs fuel injection etc), he'll be spending time fixing things so the 63 will be a good learning curve for him.

How would insurance costs compare over there?

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

Now there is a perfect car for a two barrel conversion. Yet you can always put it back. If he doesn't like it! I,m thinkin 10 MPG with 4 barrel

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

Well, finally got my ex wife to call in with her opinion.... best to keep that angry witch somewhat in the loop....

anyway, suprized to learn she was on board with the idea, as long as the car was reliable....

Called on it, and it already sold for 3k.

So back to the drawing board....

GF found me a car to look at tho... kind of liking the idea..

63 Ford Falcon 2 door wagon with a straight six and 3 speed manual... the guy claims it get 20 MPG.

Comment

• Petrolhead
                Experienced
                • Jul 2 2007

Now that['s cool, wagons are really gaining popularity. It's practical (can sleep in it if need be) and easy to maintain.

Lower it, scallops, a set of Moon disks and some sounds and he'll be cruisin'.

Comment

• Penelope
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 4 2008

Yep, I'm with Petrolhead, that would be a cool cruiser. My son would want to Rat rod matt black it, red grille etc etc. Cheap way to get him into old cars, and once he's had one, watch the keys to your bird.....
                  sigpicBill
                  Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

He could make into a surf/snowboard wagon!
                    Lower it and put racks on the roof.
                    I'd still search for a bird cuz dad knows so much about 'em.

Comment

• fomoco59
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 10 2005

My son's first car was a '61 Falcon 4dr sedan I saved for him for years. He was a hit at the high school parking lot (1996). He learned alot about cars and even painted it white himself. He eventually graduated to drag racing Mustangs....Go for the Falcon !!
                      sigpic
                      Mike Lemmon
                      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• RustyNCa
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by El Guapo
                        He could make into a surf/snowboard wagon!
                        Lower it and put racks on the roof.
                        I'd still search for a bird cuz dad knows so much about 'em.
                        Well, I already have another bird, but it has lots and lots of issues... so yeah, I am trying to decide what to do. I found a 60 body that is pretty straight and decent interior, has no motor or tranny, my 59 has the motor and tranny, no interior and body is in sad shape. Motor needs new bearings at a min, tranny I don't know condition. Guy wants 900 for the shell, I might do it if I can get it for 500.

This is what I was thinking we could do with the wagon.

Here are some photos of the wagon. Oh, and it does come with the surf rack

Comment

• fomoco59
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 10 2005

The Falcoon wagon is cool.. hard to find the 2 drs anymore.
                          sigpic
                          Mike Lemmon
                          '59 Raven Black Hardtop

Comment

• wklink
                            • Jan 24 2008

Falcon would be a much better bet IMHO.

Better mileage, better size for parking, probably just as good safety wise.

Couple of questions.

Is your son a gear head? Does he like to tinker with cars because whether he wants to or not eventually the Falcon (like any 45 year old car) will break down. If he has no desire to even begin to work on a car like that then I highly suggest you not get an older car like this for him.

Instead go with something like a 95 Thunderbird 5.0 coupe (don't get the 3.8L 6 cyls, head gaskets are a problem with them) which will be roughly the same size, have disc brakes, airbags and will not be as much work.

Buy it based on what you think you kid can do and will want to do with the car. Remember that although there is some nice steel there, there is also simple lap belts, no airbags, probably drum brakes, a fixed steering wheel and so forth. My son wants my 65 Fairlane when he turns 16 so I am already turning it into a resto-mod with an AOD transmission, disc brakes, a crumpling steering wheel (1968 and later mustang), dual bowl master cylinder, and shoulder belts.
                            62 Hardtop
                            63 Sports Roadster

Comment

I've owned 2 87 Turbo Coupe's (T-Birds) and loved 'em.
                              Power everything.Leather.5 speed.17 in wheels and a 2.4 4 cyl.
                              It would hang with a V8.You get 16 lbs. of boost with the manual.Car and Drivers car of the year in 87.
                              Made it look like and old NASCAR with wings and ground effects.
                              They are light in the rear end though..(hence owning 2)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎