power steering mounts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering mounts

So, here goes,
    63 bird with mostly stock 390. Rebuilt it and I must have aquired a later model waterpump as my original power steering pump mounts ( a.c car, remote reservoir set up) no longer line up. besides scrapping / e bay the new water pump, what are my options? can I update to later model year mounts that match the waterpump? pump and mounts? or am I screwdrivered because of my cars a/c and the need for a remote reservoir? this is one **** of a handfull to park without the p/s!!!Ive tried to verify if a lost a bracket, but the a/c car literature is scarce, the only bracket I have is a 4 bolt off set that bolts to the front of the p/s pump, and to the front of the waterpump. nothing for the rear. On the lower bolt hole to the waterpump, there is atleat a 1/2 inch gap. (missing a spacer?) even when bolted up with the gap the pully is half its width out of line towards the radiator.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: power steering mounts

There are a myriad of different water pumps that fit the FE engine. They vary on how long the shaft is that fits the fan pulley and and holes for mounting accessories. You are best advised to get the proper water pump.

Welcome to the site.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

There are actually only two different water pumps for FE Ford engines. These are 65 and older and 66 and newer. The shaft length is the same on both but the mounting points for accessories are very different. You can mount the 65 and older power steering pump on the 66 and newer water pump but you will need to add spacers to get the pump to line up. Fortunately the 66 and newer pump has lower mounting points so this is possible. If you look at the picture below you will see a stack of washers on the center bottom. That is the lower bolt and the two big washers on the right center are the top power steering pump bolt. Next time I take it apart I actually have sleeve spacers to replace the washers but I had to get it together to measure for the correct dimensions and haven't got back to it yet. Hawkrod

Comment

Thanks, I figured as much, the correct core went out the door with the first ( of two )incorrect pumps. T bird headquarters is local, looks like I ll buy one more... thanks again.

Comment

Soo frustrated, I purchased the "correct" water pump for a 63 from T bird headquaters yesterday only to take it home and find out its the same as the other 2 incorrect pumps. This is really confusing, the books show different pumps for pre and post 64 but when compared side by side they are thesame. The power steering pump brackets dont line up. I know I can rig it with some washers as suggested but Iam to much of a perfectionist to give in. Even when a spacer is added to make up the void between the power steering pump lower waterpump hole and the pump itself, the pulley is half its width out of alignment with the last of 3 pullies on the alternator and crank. It is to far toward the radiator. I imagine I could have the upper bolt surface milled to relieve the extra distance and run a spacer between my pump and p/s bracket, cheesey. If anyone has experienced these problems your solutons or ideas greatly appreciated,,, thanks mike :'( what do you show for the correct part # for the 2 different types?

Comment

I broke down and had the old spacer solution installed. Got 2 miles from the shop that did it and my belts wrapped up leaving me stranded. "yooouu hooo triple A, come and get me!" after a few tries back at the shop they seem to have gotten it right,
            Thanks guys, now I am "mostly original"

Comment

• KULTULZ

While the origional post is fairly old, maybe the following information will help in the proper water pump selection;

Water Pump Application And Description From 60-64 FORD MPC

61/64 S (BIRD)

Generator- Has Mounting Dowel

C4AZ 8501-B

C4SE 8505 (Casting I.D. No.)

(Below Are Possible Early Casting I.D. Nos.)

-PN-......-Casting No.-

C1AE-8501B - C1AE-8501B

C2AZ-8501A - C2AE-8505A

C4AZ-8501A - C4SE-8505

Alternator- Has Tapped Hole

63/64 S (BIRD)

C5AZ 8501-V

C5AE 8505-A (Casting I.D. No.)

-DISCUSSION OF LATER FE WATER PUMPS-CLICK HERE-

Comment

Working...
              😀