X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Framer_guru
    Apprentice
    • Aug 1 2008

Updates!

Hey all! Ok, I finally have some pictures posted on photobucket. Here's the link.

http://photobucket.com/T-bird_in_progress Ok, if this isn't working, just copy and paste in your browser!

I received my disc brake conversion the other day from Drop-N-Stop and started installing what I could. I got the brake booster/master cylinder installed. Took a bit of work to get it in. First, my original bolts were too short, so I had to replace them. I removed the under-dash booster and then installed the new one. Next the linkage that came with it to hook to the pedal was too small. So I had to cut my original and cut threads onto it so it would screw into the new booster. Then the whole thing was too long so I had to cut 1/2" off of the original rod, the linkage screw and cut the connecting tube down to 2 inches. Had to re-thread the tube and ended up breaking my new tap handle! Hahahaha!
    Right now I'm holding off putting on the discs due to the fact that the original 14" wheels I have won't fit with discs. Those are my next investments. Does anyone here have 16's on their 'Bird? If so, what are the wheel sizes you used?
    If you look at the pictures you can see the engine, before and after. Wouldn't you know it, I took the after pictures about 20 minutes before I installed the fuel pump, so it looks a bit odd.
    I haven't started rewiring her yet, but that is coming soon. Wondering, should I wait until she's painted completely before I rewire her, throw in the engine and tranny to see if I built the engine just right, or should I go ahead, throw in the powertrain, rewire her and just get her going first before I start body? Yeah, the interior is still bad but I do have new seat foams front and back and I'm cleaning up and painting all the trim. Just need to buy the door panels, kick panels, head liner, dash pad, and rear arm rests. Seat covers, well, that's still up in the air of which type I want. Should I go original style with vinyl or get a custom shop to make cloth ones for me? Decisions, decisions... Okay, this was a long rant. Sorry! Enjoy the pics and please, PLEASE send me your feedback! Later!

Jimmy
    Jimmy
    1960 HT in work
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jimmy looks like you have a lot accomplished over the last several months and your link to photobucket works fine. With respect to putting 16's on your 60 that would depend on whether or not you want to keep the originality in tact. When I first got my 60HT it didn't stop the same way as the 58HT, so I pulled the wheels (14's ) and had the lines bled, checked the lines and cleaned of all that the " road gung". Now it stops on a dime ( well maybe a quarter ) and I am glad I didn't convert. My personal opinion would be to get it painted completely ( then that's one less project to worry about ) then wire her up and throw the engine and tranny in before firing it up. The seat covers is your choice as again, originality vs custom is your personality and of course your classic.Keep the pixs coming.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Framer_guru
      Apprentice
      • Aug 1 2008

Gratitude

Dan, thanks for the tips. When I got her home for the first time and I took a look at the brakes, well the rear ones looked just fine, wheel cylinders, shoes, etc. But the front ones were another story. The cylinders were seized, shoes basically ust fell apart, lines completely rotted and I just decided to go with disc up front, mainly due to safety. If my wife wants to drive it sometime, after I recover from my cardiac arrest, I'll feel better knowing she's safe! All of the stuff I've done to the engine, new intake, valve covers, etc., I've kept the original stuff to go with it. In case I ever decided to sell (DOn't foresee THAT happening!) it will stil have all the original parts. Now, the seats are another story. SInce my car had the cloth inserts in the seats, seems no one makes them. SO I'm stuck on that deal... I'd get cloth seats but keep the same pattern as the original, so it wouldn't be too out there!
      Anyway, I had pretty much thought about just painting her before I put the engine and everything else in, just so I wouldn't have to take it all out again. Again, thanks for your input. If anyone else has any ideas, hints or tips, please PLEASE feel free to let me in on them! Thanks!
      Jimmy
      1960 HT in work

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

I think Skyd's got 16's on his, I've got 17's on mine. 17x8, zero offset and they work great. Pics here. I'm not sure the Specs on Skyd's.
        DGS (aka salguod)
        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• Framer_guru
          Apprentice
          • Aug 1 2008

DGS,
          Those are VERY VERY NICE wheels you've got there. 17's, zero offset and you didn't have to do any modifications? SWEET! That was one of the major worries I had. I've got the disc conversion and I should be getting wheels soon to put on. I thought I was limited to 15's, maybe certain 16's, but 17's sound better and look amazing! Now, quick question for you. The conversion I've got has new spindles which drop the front end 1 1/2 inches. Do you or anyone else think this would be a problem? What about the sway bar, did you have any issues with it? Thanks for all the input!
          Jimmy
          1960 HT in work

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

What kind of speedometer error do you guys get with the larger wheels?? (mine reads too low with stock 14s)

john
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Jimmy
              Looks like you have been vary busy the last few months,and you will have a ride that will be alot of fun when you get her on the road. The picture are very helpful when you start putting things back together I did the same when I build my 59
              Bob M

Comment

Originally posted by dgs
                I think Skyd's got 16's on his, I've got 17's on mine. 17x8, zero offset and they work great. Pics here. I'm not sure the Specs on Skyd's.
                the actual size used is 16X7 with a 4.25 Backspacing and they fit like a glove. Just as DGS's 17's, they fit with no mods to anything.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by JohnG
                  What kind of speedometer error do you guys get with the larger wheels?? (mine reads too low with stock 14s)

john
                  I don't know about the others, but with my 17's, I checked my speedo to my GPS and was very surprised to learn that it was actually pretty close.

Originally posted by JohnG
                  The conversion I've got has new spindles which drop the front end 1 1/2 inches. Do you or anyone else think this would be a problem? What about the sway bar, did you have any issues with it?
                  I actually dropped my front end 2" but not with spindles, you are better off with a drop via spindles than I with cut springs, but I haven't had any clearance issues with my car.

Regarding the sway bar, hasn't been a problem with me, but my disc brake conversion has the calipers on the back of the spindle, if yours are on the front that could pose an issue for you. The tires will rub the sway bar on very full lock, but it hasn't posed a problem at all for me.

Here is mine on 17x8 wheels if you are interested.

And a link to more.....

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Updates!

YellowRose says HI! to her '58 nearly twin sister! She looks great with those wheels on her. She is a pretty car! I am thinking of going the disc brake route with YellowRose down the road, so I have been very interested in all your comments.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Framer_guru
                      Apprentice
                      • Aug 1 2008

Hey guys! Wow, didn't expect so may replies! (sniff!) I'm so happy! Hahahahaha!

Ok, Rusty NCa,
                      Those wheels are almost exactly what I was looking at for my Bird! I was wondering what they'd look like on one, now I know. Of course now I have to find something else... grumble.. I also looked at your pics. VERY NICE! Like the sound system in the trunk. Dude, you have 2 Birds? Lucky...

Skyd,
                      Thanks for the info on the wheels. Any tips I can get regarding wheel sizing and back spacing is MUY appreciated.

Bob M,
                      Yeah, I've been pretty busy in my car hole, much to my wife's dismay. Hahahahaha! Nah, she says the sooner I get her running the sooner she'll sit in it for the first time. She still remembers everything I cleaned out of it when I towed the Bird out of the desert. The pictures I took DID help out quite a bit, showing the before images and letting me know where everything went! can't believe the difference between the before and after pics! Man, that engine was dirty! Here's hoping she runs as good as she looks!

Again, thank all of you guys who keep giving me advice. You are the ones who make this easier. Later!
                      Jimmy
                      1960 HT in work

Comment

• FeFranco
                        Experienced
                        • Jan 13 2007

Jimmy, I have the Drop N Stop disc brakes on my '60 and have no clearance problems with the sway bar or issues with the spindles. I put 15" vintage American Racing style on mine and they clear with no problems. As for painting, I painted the body after installing the engine/trans, so I didn't have to many worries leaning on everything. By the way, you must love challenges, because that is not going to be an easy one to tackle. Good Luck

Comment

• Framer_guru
                          Apprentice
                          • Aug 1 2008

Well all, I am currently in the process of cleaning up both the engine bay and the front suspension. Figured since I'm upgrading the brakes might as well go ahead and upgrade everything in the steering, right? Now, I have a quick question. Has anyone found an easy way to remove the power steering control valve from the pitman arm? I have the castle nut backed off far enough so I can hit it with a hammer and not mess up the ball joint but it seems to be stuck in there with like glue or something! I've tried WD-40 and all kinds of unsticking stuff to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks if you can!
                          Jimmy
                          1960 HT in work

Comment

• JohnG
                            John
                            • Jul 28 2003

isn't there a special puller for removing those???
                            1958 Hardtop
                            #8452 TBird Registry
                            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                            history:
                            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Updates

Bart bcomo just recently went through this procedure, including the right tool to get. Do a search above on "power steering control valve" and you will find all the discussion about that and how to go about doing it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎