Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ Thurber
    • Dec 16 2017

Door Glass Replacement

Hello again. I need help once again. I am replacing glass on my Bird. Anyone been there? I could use some coaching on the process. THANKS you guys.'
    Russ:
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You need to be more specific. Which part(s) of the procedure do you need help with.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Are you replacing all of the glass or just certain pieces? Door glass and 1/4 windows are one thing, and the windshield and rear window are totally different. The 1/4 windows are the ones that will drive you crazy, trying to get them adjusted. I replaced the side windows myself, but paid to have the windshield and rear glass installed. I didn't want to risk cracking a windshield that cost me $500+. Figured the learning curve wasn't worth the risk.
      Nyles

Comment

• Russ Thurber
        • Dec 16 2017

Door Glass Replacement

Thanks for reply Nyles. I'm replacing the roll up window on passenger door. It broke. I have the new glass along with the so-called "division bars" I tried to see where those bars actually go when installed, They don't resemble anything that is visible in the door. I don't think I need them??. And how do you reach the roller "channel" that is located approximately in the middle/left as your facing the inside of the door. The roller channel on the right side (about 6-8 inches long}is somewhat accessible, mainly by braille. I understand about leaving the roller assembly in tact in the channel by just pulling the pin out of the roller, there by not having to disassemble it further. Great....if I could just see the dam thing.Special tools required ?? Thanks much for any input.
        Russ

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

You're testing my memory, but here goes:
          1. Lower the window until can get to the bottom roller tracks and rollers on the bottom of the window frame.
          2. Remove the clip that is attached to the pin on the regulator that holds the pin in the roller, so the pin can be removed from the roller.
          3. Remove the 2 nuts from the adjusting track so it is free to move.
          4. Now, the lower track of the window frame that contains the 2 rollers should slide off the pins of the regulator.
          5. Once the channel is clear of the pins, you should be able to slide the window straight up and wiggle it out of the door.
          6. To reinstall the window, put the assembled rollers in the lower track of the window frame.
          7. Slide the window frame back into the door and align the rollers where they match up to the regulator pins.
          8. You can then push the regulator pins into the rollers that are already in the window frame and they will lock into place.
          9. Then it is just a matter of aligning the window.
          Nyles
          Attached Files

Comment

• Russ Thurber
            • Dec 16 2017

Door Glass Replacement

Hey Nyles....You nailed it. I can see now where I went wrong.It's about getting the window down to a level for gaining access to the channel. Still don't know what the "division bars" have to do with it.I don't think I need them???
            THANKS
            Russ

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

Russ:
              Just as a side note, at the top of the window channel by the vent wing, is a small nylon bushing to guide the window in the up position. I've seen these nylon bushings break, which exposes a metal rivet to retain the bushing. When the window goes up, it can contact the metal rivet and crack the glass. Worth it to check this. Hate to break a new glass.
              Larrys has them under part number B21774A and Macs is 66-29944.
              Nyles

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎