X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PLTO6
    Apprentice
    • Apr 6 2011

1964 Thunderbird Convertible top problem

The last time I used the top up and down it worked perfectly, getting the car ready for the summer I found that the top would not open. So I unlocked the deck lid manually by detaching the deck lid locks under the rear fenders and also detaching the deck lid cylinders from underneath the rear. After open deck lid about 3 feet I can hear the relay click when I pushed the up and down but on the console. It is in the left bank right rear relay that is clicking. I checked the motor and pump and they are working properly. I checked the deck lock motor and it is working properly. But when I push the up and down button on the console the only thing it will do is make a clicking sound in the relay. I have done nothing to the car since the last time the top when up-and-down. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Boyd
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Non-use is the worst cause for relays and limit switches to stop working. Typically, contacts get dirty/corroded/spiders/you name it, and all of a sudden they don't work. You can be in the middle of fixing it, then all of a sudden... it works.

Manually go around and cycle your limit switches. Work them back and forth, then do it with the TOP button pushed up, then down. More times than not, these problems correct themselves.

Of course, if you find a broken spring in one of the switches, that's a different story. So, cycle your top often. That should keep the contacts clean. One small dot of carbon can hold back 12 volts.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

After Boyd tried cycling the switches, he called. Turns out there is no power going to the trunk area of the convertible top wiring. He has two 15a breakers in the trunk (package tray) but both are dead.

He says the car was restored and the PO may have altered or eliminated the main circuit breaker under the hood. More to come after he traces the wires coming from the starter solenoid in the morning. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• PLTO6
        Apprentice
        • Apr 6 2011

Convertible Top

I would like to thanks Dave for all his help. After makeing a lot of checks the problem was traced to a bad wire connecter off of the 60 amp breaker. If anyone is having problems with there top I'm willing to help.

Boyd

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

It tickles me when members are tenacious like Boyd. He never gave up, and tracked down the power wire himself. Another great benefit is cost savings. Boyd probably didn't spend ten bucks and he knows exactly what was done to fix the problem.

Good job, Boyd. Guys like you are the reason I am gladly here to help. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎