This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:02 PM

cschuldj is on a distinguished road
Question layout of 12 relay convertible top

Can any one tell me if the ten relays are in the same position on the 12 relay system? And what are the two additional relays for? I do have the wiring diagram for the 12 relay system but am not sure where each is located.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Yes, the relays are in the same position. Here's a picture with the description of each relay. The two added ones are at the bottom.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12relay.jpg (23.0 KB, 32 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-29-2013, 03:24 PM

cschuldj is on a distinguished road

Thanks John,
That will help my confidence while testing the system.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Prior to 1960, T-bird tops were partially 'manual'. In 1960 Ford added two relays because they needed two more contacts for the Tray, to make the system 'automatic'. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 PM

Actually the two relays were added because they originally designed the '60 top mechanism to use the same relay for the solenoids in both the open and close operation. That turned out to be problematic so they later added separate relays for each operation. I had a '60 with 10 relays before the update and it had a tendency to get confused when I tried to reverse the operation too quickly.

John

Old 08-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Actually the two relays were added because they originally designed the '60 top mechanism to use the same relay for the solenoids in both the open and close operation. ...
There is no confusion, John. You press the button one way for UP and the other way for DOWN. It's impossible for the toggle switch to be UP and Down at the same time. Those are totally different electrical paths in the control circuit.

'Confusion' can only come if a contact is not quite open or closed. Most contacts snap into position to eliminate that possibility. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 PM

I'm just relating what happened to me on the '60 I owned that only had 10 relays. I can only guess that the flow of fluid through the solenoids was compromised with only one relay for both up and down operations. Obviously Ford added the two relays later in the year for some reason. They wouldn't have spent the money to recall and retrofit all the early 60's if there wasn't a problem. I happened to have one where the owner didn't take it back to have it done.

John