Tim Daleo
    Azusa, California
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

• Restifier52
      Experienced
      • Jul 26 2011

There is enough room for a pair of 4x6s, maybe 4x10s, but you would need to do much cutting to accommodate them. I don't think you would jeopardize the structural integrity of the car but it would be pretty invasive.
      1960 HT
      Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• Penelope
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 4 2008

Radio's

My '60 has the original AM radio, but someone long ago put an FM capability in it without changing any of the internals. I had never seen this before and remember talking to Ray (yelllowrose) about it (old ham radio expert) and he mentioned a crystal insert or something if my memory serves me correct. So I get FM or AM and still run the original centre speaker. Whilst I wont provide music for any rave parties, it does me and remains totally stock looking.
        sigpicBill
        Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Daleo56
          Experienced
          • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by Restifier52
          There is enough room for a pair of 4x6s, maybe 4x10s, but you would need to do much cutting to accommodate them. I don't think you would jeopardize the structural integrity of the car but it would be pretty invasive.
          For the console I am hoping that dual 4" speakers will fit. As far as additional sound, if the package tray is not an option, I always like to to use stock locations or hide the speakers out of sight. I have a power seat so the only other place I can go is under the dash.

Has anyone tried motorcycle speakers? I am thinking I can fit one on each side under the dash.

Last edited by Daleo56; January 29, 2015, 05:34 PM.
          Tim Daleo
          Azusa, California

Comment

• toddgilroy
            Experienced
            • Aug 30 2014

A PO put a dual 4" speaker in my console but had to pound down part of the tranny tunnel to make it fit.
            Todd Gilroy
            1960 Tbird Convertible
            Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Daleo56
              Experienced
              • Dec 27 2014

I am not going to pound anything Do you have any pictures or a measurement of the depth? I have not pulled my console apart yet. When I had emailed Tayman he said small speakers would fit but I am sure there are many different types.

I use Kenwood KFC-1094PS 4-Inch 3-Way Speakers which have a shallow Mounting Depth of 1-11/16 in. I hope these will work.

Gary Tayman said "One consideration for this car is speakers. The original speaker is mounted in the console. The only replacement speaker option is 2 small speakers mounted together – a DVC is too deep and will not fit. A nice alternative, if you don’t have power seats, is to mount Undercover Stealth Speakers under the front seats. They sound very nice and are invisible."
              Tim Daleo
              Azusa, California

Comment

• toddgilroy
                Experienced
                • Aug 30 2014

Sorry for the poor picture but hopefully it gives you some idea of what they had to do...and I just had to include a picture of my little friend that was resting nearby.

Can't decide whether to nickname my car "Speedy" or "Slowpoke".
                Attached Files
                Todd Gilroy
                1960 Tbird Convertible
                Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Tbird1044
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 31 2012

Center Console speakers

My center console is sitting on the bed in the spare bedroom and the car is still in the paint shop. (4 1/2 months now) Anyhow, I checked the total depth of the original Ford speaker and it was 2 1/4" from mounting surface to bottom of magnet. Sounds like your speakers should be fine.
                  Nyles
                  Attached Files

Comment

• bird 60
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Mar 18 2009

Nyles, I know the old saying is, curiosity killed the cat, but what are the three white dots for

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

I think a PO had some switches or something in the holes. I put in hole plugs, but forgot to paint them with the vinyl paint. I'll do that next time I paint. Like you, I have no idea what they were for.
                      I plan on putting a couple switches in the front ash tray compartment. (Elect. fuel pump, power ant, map light and elect. door lock switch) We'll see how it works out.
                      Nyles

Comment

• Daleo56
                        Experienced
                        • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by toddgilroy
                        Sorry for the poor picture but hopefully it gives you some idea of what they had to do...and I just had to include a picture of my little friend that was resting nearby.

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                        My center console is sitting on the bed in the spare bedroom and the car is still in the paint shop. (4 1/2 months now) Anyhow, I checked the total depth of the original Ford speaker and it was 2 1/4" from mounting surface to bottom of magnet. Sounds like your speakers should be fine.
                        Nyles
                        I hope to meet up with you soon Nyles!
                        Tim Daleo
                        Azusa, California

Comment

• JohnG
                          John
                          • Jul 28 2003

a little off the subject . . . what vinyl paint did you use? It looks like an excellent match both in terms of color and also having the original wrinkle sort of finish.
                          1958 Hardtop
                          #8452 TBird Registry
                          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                          history:
                          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jul 31 2012

I had some Dupont custom mixed vinyl paint that I had for years. Since I bought new seat covers and door panels, I wasn't happy with the color so I went to an auto paint store to custom mix some SEM vinyl paint. When I found it was about $120/qt., I asked the guy if he could tint my existing paint and match the new vinyl. He did and I was very pleased with the color match. The texture is due to spraying the existing vinyl coverings. I did notice that SEM has an aerosol vinyl paint that is very close to the red used in our Birds. I used the vinyl paint on the panel above the rear seat, all the front seat panels, armrests, center console, and ashtrays and side panels below the windshield. It appears to be very durable and hopefully won't wear off. The armrests/door pulls are biggest concern. I put like 3 coats on them plus a semi gloss vinyl clear coat. Time will tell.
                            Nyles

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Myles from the pixs this application worked very well.
                              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                              Thunderbird Registry
                              58HT #33317
                              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍