59 TBIRD Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAM
    • Apr 15 2009

Okay, I got the carb rebuilt following the instructions that came with and referring to the shop manual, and put it back on. After a couple minutes of fiddling with setting the jets where the manual said, I got it to start, but it will only stay running with the gas on, and it's a rough run. I had a friend stay on the gas for a minute while I adjusted the needles that way the manual says to. That didn't seem to affect it at all. When the gas was let off, it died, and I killed the battery trying to get it to fire up again. I am obviously quite new at this so any advice on what to try next would be great.

Oh, and when activating the throttle, fuel was spraying into the venturis. I checked the distributor cap with the clips off, and it wasn't loose.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by RAM
      Hello everyone.

I'm new to the site so I thought I'd introduce myself before my question. My name's Randy. I live in Sacramento, Ca. and I'm the proud owner of a 1959 Thunderbird.

I appreciate any advice in advance, and keep up the great work. Awesome site.

Randy
      Welcome to the site, are you new to squarebird ownership?

You aren't very far from me, well, 2 hours.

Do you have another carb you can try on the car? If you were a bit closer I would suggest we for grins swap out your 4100 for one of mine, or try the carter I am running on my 58.

I had a car that used to do like what you are talking about but only once it got warm. I replaced the coil on it, cap, rotor, fuel pump, etc cause my viewable filter looked fine, I finally gave up and threw a cheap fuel filter on it when a friend suggested it, and the issue went away, I would say pick up a couple of the cheap plastic clear filters that run 1.50 each and see what happens. Mine looked fine, but it seemed to have issue, but only after the car was warmed up.

Again welcome and if you ever make it north to my neck of the woods let me know.

Also there is a nice car show in Orland next month I will at least be taking the 65 to it.

RustyNCA
      Redding CA

Comment

• RAM
        • Apr 15 2009

Hi RustyNCa

Yes, I'm new to it. I love it, just trying to work the bugs out. The fuel pump was just replaced before I bought it. It looks like the distributor/Rotor might be new too, and I replaced the plugs(properly gapped). I don't have another carb to throw on it, but it's cool. I won't give up.

I'll replace that little filter too.

Thanks

Comment

Hey RAM,
          Is you fuel pump working properly?
          When I got Christine home she would try to hesitate or die from a stopped position.
          I had carb rebuilt (Holly 4-barrel) from a company in Texas (have to look up name if you need it). New distributor, new coil, replaced points with solid state ignition, new plugs, canister type fuel filter that screws into carb. Done what other guys on here suggested and bought timing light, set timing.
          My Thunderbird manual said to run adjustment screws in all the way and back out one and one half turns. Start car and adjust from there.
          I took her out for a run (not a drive) today 4-24-09. She was not as bad, still just a little. I have bought a new fuel pump, before I replace that, I'm going to take line off fuel tank, drain gas and knock out screen in tank, flush tank and add in line fuel filter up close to fuel pump and also after this replace fuel pump. Then give her a run!!!
          You might try to rig up a jug with gas and connect it to carb and see if she runs any different. Be careful and make sure you disconnect fuel pump so it does not pump gas also!
          If she is getting gas I would also check to see if she has enough fire going to the plugs. You said she had gas, she may have a week coil or bad points, when you race engine it would pick up causing it to run, when you back off fire drops off and she dies.
          Good luck!!! don't give up! she's like a fine women, she needs a little TLC!!!

Comment

• RAM
            • Apr 15 2009

Thanks for your response. I will unhook the new fuel pump and try the jug thing to test that out.The car was running well and then developed a jerky hesitation when I gave it gas, that prompted me to start with a carb clean/rebuild. I am going to check the vacuum sender unit as well, but I can't keep the car idling since I put the carb back on, so that's my first priority.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted and try to get a pic uploaded.

Randy

Comment

Keep us informed, some of the guys or myself will try to help!
              DO'NT GIVE UP!!!
              THUNDERBIRDS FOREVER!!!

Comment

• Coral
                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Excellent thread here!
                Thanks to one and all for the information presented here!

I don't have these problems ( crossing fingers ) but if I would, I already know what to start doing !

Comment

• bird 60
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Mar 18 2009

Hi Ram, I hope the solution to your problem is solved.
                  One of the things I would do & recommend to everyone else to do as well is to fit the Fuel Filter,(the clear type) just past the Fuel Tank. That way it'll collect all the rubbish before entering the Fuel Pump & doing damage to it.
                  Also when the Bird is on the hoist getting serviced or do it yourself at home, check to see for any crap in the filter. If it's not clear & you can't see inside pull it off from the rear facing the tank & plug the line. Have a spare handy then disect the used one & see the amount of gunk in it. If it's clean it means that your Gas tank is clean. If it's pretty gunky check again with the next service. If still gunky you might have to get your Gas Tank cleaned out.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

Check all of the above. You are in Sacramento? I'm in San Jose.

Our club concours is in Alameda (at the Naval Museum) on May 9th

If you want more info, email me. byers1860@sbcglobal.net

John

Comment

• RAM
                      • Apr 15 2009

Hello everyone. Hope you had a great weekend.

The good news is.....She lives!!!! Hahaha

Okay, I got her running again, but I'm going through the service manual on tuning the carb because when I have the air breather on it dies. Also the exhaust is black now. The little clear fuel filter is clean, but it is past the fuel pump so, I'll try moving it back to the tank, and see if that shows me anything different.

It seems like now, I just need some practical hands on experience in carb tuning. I also plan on checking the timing, probably this next weekend, but hopefully sooner, cause I really miss driving her.

Thanks for your continued help everyone.

Comment

Hey Guys,
                        Just drained gas out of gas tank on Christine and removed fuel sending unit. To my surprise, looking into fuel tank with light, inside of tank was fairly clean.
                        Looking inside tank from where sending unit was and a little to the left I could see the pickup line and the screen filter on the end of the line. The line enters the fuel tank a little higher than where the end of the line in the tank picks up fuel. After a little work with a stick of wood I got screen filter off, now getting it out After thinking about it for a few minutes, I took two narrow sticks and use the as chop sticks. After two tries I got it out.
                        I then removed fuel line from gas tank, then removed fuel line from fuel pump. Took another piece of hose and blew out gas line into a mason jar. It was clean.
                        I had purchased a new fuel pump. I removed fuel line from fuel pump to carburetor and two vacuum lines. I then removed old fuel pump. Took out fuel line connections and laid them to the side. The old fuel pump did not have sediment bowl on it, but the new one I bought does.
                        I then took thread compound (that is suitable for gas) and installed gas line fittings into new fuel pump. Then installed new fuel pump onto engine. Hooked up vacuum lines and gas line from fuel pump to carburetor.
                        I then jacked Christine up, installed jack stand and proceeded to crawl underneath.
                        I then installed in line (clear) fuel filter in rubber line between steel fuel line and fuel pump.
                        Buttoned everything up underneath, checked everything in engine compartment and reinstalled gas line to gas tank.
                        Then poured five gallons of gas in her, thinking she should be fun to get started. After about seven or eight revolutions, she came to life.
                        All in all it was not as bad as what I had anticipated.
                        Now if we can get some good weather I got to do a little adjusting on carburetor and hopefully have some fun with her.

Comment

• bird 60
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Mar 18 2009

Good to hear Richard, happy Cruisin.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎