This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road
Default Mechanical fuel pump leaks

By design, I think if a diaphram on a fuel pump fails, that the leaking fuel should spill externally through the vent holes of the pump. Is there anything to look for that would cause fuel to go into the crankcase instead? Or is it not surprising that you'll get fuel in the oil when a pump fails in any case?

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've had far too many old cars with gas in the oil to think it's a coincidence. It must be common for fuel pumps to leak through the shaft opening into the crankcase.

Last edited by jopizz : 03-02-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Depending on the cause or location of the leak, there is nothing to stop the gas from entering the engine through the hole in the side of the block where the pump arm goes through. Old school mechanics would always feel and smell the oil on the dipstick when checking the oil even though such a failure is rare but does happen.

I "think"* the supercharged Y-Block engines had a gasket or bellows type of seal that went around their modified fuel pump's arm but no others that I am aware of.

*(getin old and don't remember everything like I used to!)
Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
You may think I'm crazy Went with a friend of mine several years ago to look at a small truck. The dealer had the truck backed up a small hill. I was checking things out and we raised the hood. For some reason I pulled the dip stick to check the oil. It showed it was right at full. I thought thats odd. So I felt of the oil and it just did not feel right. I smelled the oil and it did not smell right. I tasted the oil and could taste gas in the oil We told the dealer. He chased it down to a bad mechanical fuel pump! I told my friend I would be leery about buying the truck, because you don't know how long its been ran that way!
My opinion and comments are not the opinion and comments of Squarebirds.org! Do not try this at home
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

My 59 had that problem when I bought her. Lots of gas in the oil. I put in a new fuel pump, but I think the damage was done already since the strong running engine has a slight knock at anything over 2500 rpm or under load. That is why I am putting in the 390.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Had to put bearings in a 76 LTD 400 because of a bad fuel pump. It had 21000 miles on it. Made me sick
Old 03-03-2012, 09:14 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

You guys all make a case for either having an electric pump, or a mechanical pump rebuilt with materials compatible with today's gasoline. Too much risk involved!

Richard: there is an old Cheech and Chong story that parallels yours but is not about gasoline that I should tell you by email sometime . . . believe it was about a dogsled team in Russia.

John
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
You guys all make a case for either having an electric pump, or a mechanical pump rebuilt with materials compatible with today's gasoline. Too much risk involved!...
Hmmm... 30 dollar fuel pump or $6,000 overhaul... I just can't decide...

John, I'm in favor of the electric pump. All modern cars have one so we're used to their dependability by now. No such thing as a 'dry' fuel system, cranking forever, trying to get gas up to the carb. It happens as soon as the key is turned. But a word of caution to all: If you go with an electric pump, also install the inertia switch. All our modern cars have one, in case of an accident they shut off power to the pump. RESET, is that little white button usually located in your trunk. Junk yards crush these switches daily because nobody ever buys replacements.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

similar comments hold with regard to some contemporary cars and intake manifolds. If you lose the ability to seal the coolant, it goes into the motor and oil and you soon ruin your bearings. This happened to one manufacturer in two areas: intake manifold gasket, and plenum.

Ya gotta protect that motor!!

John
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

A couple of options for fuel shut off on electric pumps that could be considered.

http://www.amazon.com/Holley-12-810-...0901273&sr=8-1

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

And a simple wiring diagram.

It would seem that the Oil Pressure cut off switch would be easier to ops check.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Pump Cut-off.JPG (56.2 KB, 68 views)

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site