No announcement yet.

windshield wipers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

windshield wipers

since I took the engine out and rebuilt it now my wipers don't work does anyone know where I can start to look for the problem? They worked before I took the engine out.
    goldenbird
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The wipers get vacuum from the fuel pump. I assume you have the correct dual action pump and the vacuum hoses are on the correct ports.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

The wipers have manifold vacuum running to the dual acting fuel pump and then to the wiper motor. How long was the car down while you rebuilt the motor? The wiper motors are full of grease and it has a tendancy to get dried out and hard and prevent the wiper motor from working properly. I've also had issues on mine where the cable pulled out of the wiper switch and wouldn't activate the wiper motor switch. I epoxied that one. If you can get to the wiper motor, try and move it manually and see if it is free. Mine will move back and forth really easily, but I just had it apart and greased the you know what out of it.
      Good Luck
      Nyles

Comment

• RBT2013
        • Oct 6 2013

Wiper motor large coil spring

Originally posted by Tbird1044
        The wipers have manifold vacuum running to the dual acting fuel pump and then to the wiper motor. How long was the car down while you rebuilt the motor? The wiper motors are full of grease and it has a tendancy to get dried out and hard and prevent the wiper motor from working properly. I've also had issues on mine where the cable pulled out of the wiper switch and wouldn't activate the wiper motor switch. I epoxied that one. If you can get to the wiper motor, try and move it manually and see if it is free. Mine will move back and forth really easily, but I just had it apart and greased the you know what out of it.
        Good Luck
        Nyles
        Nyles. You have had this motor apart so it may be safe to assume you are familiar with the large coil spring located between the main body and cable pulley. When I removed the motor to inspect it I noticed this spring was loose and basically just dangling around with end not affixed to anything. My question is , how is this spring supposed to be affixed in relation to the pulley so it performs its fuction. What the trick. My motor is not working. I have all the vacuum hoses all attached just as has been described here but motor will not actuate. I first want to find out about this spring before I take motor apart to greese the heck out of it. Thank you

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

Vacuum Wiper Motor

Not totally sure about the spring you are referring to. I never took the cable assembly apart and if the spring was missing on mine, I never would have noticed. I'll attach some pics that I hope will help.

Nyles

Originally posted by RBT2013
          Nyles. You have had this motor apart so it may be safe to assume you are familiar with the large coil spring located between the main body and cable pulley. When I removed the motor to inspect it I noticed this spring was loose and basically just dangling around with end not affixed to anything. My question is , how is this spring supposed to be affixed in relation to the pulley so it performs its fuction. What the trick. My motor is not working. I have all the vacuum hoses all attached just as has been described here but motor will not actuate. I first want to find out about this spring before I take motor apart to greese the heck out of it. Thank you
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎