X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Oil volume and dipstick length

Thanks, John! I have used the top figures and changed the TRL accordingly, also adding the CM figures to it for those who use that form of measurement. I notice that in the Bird Nest catalog, there is a different part # listed for the 430MEL dip stick. So that might have different measurements. I did not know that there was a chrome dipstick version for the engine dress up kit. It would be nice to have one to add to my engine dress up kit! I wonder where I would find one?

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

With all the swap meets I've been to over the years I've never seen one so they must be pretty rare. If Carl or Bob's doesn't have one then they're really hard to find.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

Let me make a suggestion here. The critical dimension is the length of dipstick below the mounting flange on the block. Mounting tube length can vary with options, such as AC and of course year. So you need to tell this guy how long your stick is, and subtract the tube length between the block mounting surface and it's top.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by YellowRose
          ....I did not know that there was a chrome dipstick version for the engine dress up kit. It would be nice to have one to add to my engine dress up kit! I wonder where I would find one?
          When I bought my Moroso oil pan it came with one, but the upper clip was welded on and in the wrong place. I cut it off and was going to epoxy it on, but decided to just get a new one. Summit racing has a good selection. I ended up with a brushed stainless one with a stainless braided hose for about $60.

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
            With all the swap meets I've been to over the years I've never seen one so they must be pretty rare. If Carl or Bob's doesn't have one then they're really hard to find.

John
            They "weld" themselves to the block and then get broken when removed. That's what happened to mine anyway.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
              Experienced
              • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by Yadkin
              Let me make a suggestion here. The critical dimension is the length of dipstick below the mounting flange on the block. Mounting tube length can vary with options, such as AC and of course year. So you need to tell this guy how long your stick is, and subtract the tube length between the block mounting surface and it's top.
              Thank you, this is exactly what would help! Unless I have this info and can surely say how much oil really is in the engine, I rather not run with the car.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                Experienced
                • Jun 20 2012

Do you have the correct filter. It should be a Motorcraft FL-1 or equivalent...

John
                I installed the Motorcraft FL-1A filter.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 20 2012

Ray,

My dipstick measurements are about the same as yours.

19 7/8 to end
                  18 1/8 to add
                  17 to full.

I know for sure that mine is original. It also does not have any Ford markings.

John
                  Got to measure my dipstick and tube lengths:

20" to end
                  18,35" to add
                  17,3" to full

...so very close to your numbers.

The oil tube length from it's end to the block is about 9,4". If you could manage to measure your oil tube leghths, that would be very helpful to me as I could then see the metering parts state.

Another question is the oil pan. The strange thing is that I ordered the magnetic drain plug from Mac's (for a '59 TB) and it did not fit - was too narrow. So either the hollow for the plug was remanufactured in the past or there is a replaced oil pan (looks pretty vintage and used though). Any idea how to say wether the oil pan is original or not? Or where to get the original oil pan's measures?
                  Last edited by Rock&Roll Firebird; September 4, 2013, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

Someone may have cross-threaded or screwed-up the pan threads, then drilled and oversized hole and threaded that. Your local parts store should have a large selection of drain plugs with various diameters and threads, both metric and SAE.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                      Experienced
                      • Jun 20 2012

Someone may have cross-threaded or screwed-up the pan threads, then drilled and oversized hole and threaded that. Your local parts store should have a large selection of drain plugs with various diameters and threads, both metric and SAE.
                      Yes, that may be the case. Still I'd rather be sure about the oil pan's measures / origin.

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird
                        Yes, that may be the case. Still I'd rather be sure about the oil pan's measures / origin.
                        My pan is original '64 390 and in good shape, and I cleaned it up and painted it, but my engine builder insisted that I use at least a 6 quart pan, so it's sitting on the shelf. The plug is 1/2" x 20 threads, 7/8 nut. The depth of the pan is about 6.5".

Have you taken yours out yet? I'd suggest doing so, since when I did that 20 years ago it had a thick layer of sludge on the bottom.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                          Experienced
                          • Jun 20 2012

Have you taken yours out yet? I'd suggest doing so, since when I did that 20 years ago it had a thick layer of sludge on the bottom.
                          Not yet, planning to do so in few weeks time. A bit afraid what I might find in there... But definitely looking forward to clean it out!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎